Shil's Eberron Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shil's Eberron Game

Private board for a 3.5e D&D Eberron game

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2006-09-11

Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 5:39 am

Rowan wrote:
Lets save the BPs then. Rowan would consider building a monument frivolous anyway. We have more important things to build, to continue establishing ourselves and becoming self-sufficient.

Okay. I'll post what occurs and the details on Tatzlford shortly.

Quote :
What does "city base value" do? If it's something significant, then it seems like building a luxury store would be a good value, since we can make one for half price due to our noble villa

It governs what value of items are readily available for purchase in a city. If an item costs less than or equal to the city's base value, then it has a 75% chance of being available (and you can check every month). Since Lakeshore has a base value of 700 gp right now, that means you can get up to a 4th level scroll or a 2nd level potion with reasonable ease, but anything beyond that (and even a cloak of resistance +1) means you guys need to send away to Aundair for it. That hasn't really been an issue thus far because you've had enough downtime to be able to get what you need, but it could be an issue in future.

Quote :
Rowan is interested in building a shrine of Dol Arrah, but mainly for personal reasons.

Makes sense.

Quote :
Have you read the Faiths of Eberron book? I was looking through its section on the Sovereign Host, and was amazed that it actually discusses theology, unlike every other fantasy setting and book I've ever read. It's quite well done.

I haven't read it. And that sounds pretty good. The guy who plays Turan in the Carrion Crown game had good things to say about it too.
Back to top Go down
https://eberrongame.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 6:08 am

I was just going over the map and seeing where you might put your farmland and saw that there are 2 available plains hexes you got with the area you claimed in Varnhold, so that means you can use them and have to spend only 4 BP instead of the 8 BP I'd mentioned earlier. So that leaves you with 11 BP, which it still makes sense to save, because then you can have a better chance at building something substantial next month.

Here are Tatzlford's statistics:
Base Value = 700 gp; Defense Modifier +0; Districts = 1; contains Brewery, House (x3), Shrine, Smith, Tavern; 1 minor item

So it gives your kingdom Economy +2, Loyalty +3, Stability +2, and lets you sell another minor item per month (as long as you don't roll a natural 1 on the Economy check), generating 2 BP each time.

Now you need a bunch of d20 rolls:

1 Stability check to gain Tatzlford without any Unrest

5 Economy checks to sell 1 medium and 4 minor magic items

1 Economy check to generate money from the kingdom.

So give me 7 d20 rolls, please.
Back to top Go down
Rowan

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2006-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 10:21 am

Admin wrote:
I haven't read it. And that sounds pretty good. The guy who plays Turan in the Carrion Crown game had good things to say about it too.
It talks about the Sovereign Host as an actual pantheon, rather than your typical D&D-esque loose collection of random gods. It also mentions that most people worship the Host as a whole, praying to whichever god is most appropriate for the circumstances.

Last edited by Rowan on Wed May 04, 2011 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 10:21 am

The member 'Rowan' has done the following action : Dice roller

'd20' : 18
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 11:14 am

Rowan wrote:
It talks about the Sovereign Host as an actual pantheon, rather than your typical D&D-esque loose collection of random gods. It also mentions that most people worship the Host as a whole, praying to whichever god is most appropriate for the circumstances.

It's sad that saying people worship a pantheon as a whole and pray to individual deities as most appropriate/convenient automatically makes the book an anomaly, considering that's by far the commonest form of worship in polytheistic religions.

You made the Stability check to get Tatzlford to join your kingdom with no trouble. But I need another six d20 rolls for all the Economy checks (which, luckily, you can't blow except on a 1).
Back to top Go down
Rowan

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 11:23 am

Admin wrote:
It's sad that saying people worship a pantheon as a whole and pray to individual deities as most appropriate/convenient automatically makes the book an anomaly, considering that's by far the commonest form of worship in polytheistic religions.
I know! D&D has this weird pattern of Catholic sensibilities grafted over polytheistic religion.

The book's theology is much more involved than that, and actually reads like real theology. Or at least the few pages I've read does.

Quote :
You made the Stability check to get Tatzlford to join your kingdom with no trouble. But I need another six d20 rolls for all the Economy checks (which, luckily, you can't blow except on a 1).
I know. This website wasn't working properly on my iPad, and it wouldn't let me post more than one die roll.

EDIT: So, with successfully selling all the items, and rolling a 14 for Kingdom income, how many BPs does that net us for next month?

Last edited by Rowan on Wed May 04, 2011 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 11:23 am

The member 'Rowan' has done the following action : Dice roller

#1 'd20' : 2

--------------------------------

#2 'd20' : 9

#3 'd20' : 15

#4 'd20' : 18

#5 'd20' : 14

#6 'd20' : 14
Back to top Go down
Rowan

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 12:40 pm

If a building type lists a number of minor or medium items, does that mean we get to sell those many items per month?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 1:16 pm

Rowan wrote:
I know! D&D has this weird pattern of Catholic sensibilities grafted over polytheistic religion.

Heh! That's a nice description.

Quote :
The book's theology is much more involved than that, and actually reads like real theology. Or at least the few pages I've read does.

That's cool. Maybe I'll borrow it from you sometime, since some of that could come in handy for Carrion Crown.

Quote :
EDIT: So, with successfully selling all the items, and rolling a 14 for Kingdom income, how many BPs does that net us for next month?

That's one medium item (8 BP), four minor items (4 x 2 BP = 8 BP) and another 14 BP from the successful Kingdom income check, so you made a whopping 30 BP to add to the 11 BP you already had. Your Consumption of 7 will eat into that, but assuming you make a Stability check at the start of the next month (which'll net you 1 more BP), you should have 35 BP to work with next month, which is pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Rowan wrote:
If a building type lists a number of minor or medium items, does that mean we get to sell those many items per month?

No. You can only sell 1 item per month per district (and it must be produced by a building in that district). But the number of items created by buildings in the district tell you how many magic items are available readily for purchase, without them being restricted to that city's base value.

So, for example, Lakeshore now has a base value of 700 gp and buildings in it combine to have 4 minor items and 2 medium items. At any given point, there are 4 minor items and 2 medium items for sale, even though they all cost well over 700 gp each. They're determined randomly, so it's a crapshoot what is available, but it's one more thing that PCs have ready access to (as long as they want to buy them) without having to send away for items.
Back to top Go down
Rowan

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Admin wrote:
That's one medium item (8 BP), four minor items (4 x 2 BP = 8 BP) and another 14 BP from the successful Kingdom income check, so you made a whopping 30 BP to add to the 11 BP you already had. Your Consumption of 7 will eat into that, but assuming you make a Stability check at the start of the next month (which'll net you 1 more BP), you should have 35 BP to work with next month, which is pretty good.
Good. Are there any more unsettled Plains hexes in Varnhold that we can build more farms on? It's in our best interest to bring our consumption down.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 6:01 pm

Rowan wrote:
Good. Are there any more unsettled Plains hexes in Varnhold that we can build more farms on? It's in our best interest to bring our consumption down.

There's one unclaimed plains hex remaining in the Varnhold area. There is a fair bit of plains that the centaurs occupy, so let me know if you want them to relocate to a reservation happy fun place somewhere else Twisted Evil

There are still some seven plains hexes within your territory to the north near the border with Drelev as well.

We'll move onto the next month and handle some of it on the forums before we play tomorrow, but here's the results of all your rolling.

With their additional responsibilities now that Varnhold is part of their kingdom, the rulers of Khatovar significantly rework their infrastructure and duties. Though the four of them continue to rule together, they shift their individual focus somewhat, or at least Kara and Rowan do. The Crazy Axe Lady begins to handle the assignment of patrols and militia to watch over the increasing span of the kingdom, while Rowan takes over more of the day-to-day rulership, handing over much of the duties of growing a military to her old commander Retief Ness. Kesten Garess, who had originally handled much of what Kara now does, functions as a secon-in-command to her and also has the job of training guards and soldiers. Youma Sivis is officially installed as mayor of Varnhold city, with Fluin Tullier as the garrison commander there. Akiros, having expressed an interest in seeing Varnhold, is now posted there, to aid Youma and Fluin in the transition. With Youma using her contacts and diplomatic expertise to handle much of what the trader Jubilost Narthropple once did, the halfling merchant happily settles down to creating a functional guild system for Khatovar.

Against the suggestions of some of their councilors, the rulers of Khatovar extend their kingdom's reach a little further north and west even as they deal with their new responsibilities to the south in Varnhold. The village of Tatzlford becomes the latest settlement to join the kingdom. Loy and Latricia Rezbin, the co-founders of the village (and currently mayor and priestess there), travel to Lakeshore to discuss the details and then return to their village with the rulers, officially sealing the deal. The transition goes with remarkable smoothness, especially since Tatzlford was already surviving on trade with Khatovar anyway.

Not otherwise increasing the kingdom's expanse works well as a strategy, the primary expenditures being focused on improving the newly added land of Varnhold. More farmland is created along what are now the southern borders of Khatovar, with the centaur representative Xamanthe present to ensure that not a foot of Nomen land is encroached on. The last section of roadway is laid, so that one may now travel by road from Lakeshore all the way to Varnhold city, significantly cutting down on travel time.

The economy of Khatovar continues to function strongly, and though there is significantly more pressure upon it now, it seems to be stable enough to handle the increased costs of running the kingdom. Varnhold city, under Youma's able handling, turns out to be quite an asset. With the Nomen centaurs not a threat any more, much less attention needs to be devoted to defense, and trade caravans flow east and west between Varnhold city and the large town of Varna.

To make things even better, there is a long stretch of particularly fine weather. This allows easier gathering and stockpiling of food for the upcoming winter, and increases public confidence about the nation's ability to remain self-reliant and functional.

OOC: The above covers all the following mechanical events.

Quote :
Improvement Phase:
1 – Select Leadership: Changes in multiple positions. Resulting stat changes: Economy +9, Loyalty +1, Stability +8

2 – Claim Hexes: Claim hex with Tatzlford in it (-1 BP; Consumption +2). Tatzlford contains a Brewery (Loyalty +1, Stability +1), 3 Houses, a Shrine (1 minor item; Loyalty +1), Smith (Economy +1, Stability +1), Tavern (+500 base value; Economy +1, Loyalty +1). Gives Khatovar Economy +2, Loyalty +3, Stability +2. Made Stability check (65 vs. DC 57) to avoid increase in Unrest.

3 – Establish and Improve Cities: None

4 – Build Roads: Build road in hex N of Varnhold Pass (-2 BP; total roads = 19)

5 – Establish Farmlands: Convert hex with Blood Furrows and hex NW of Blood Furrows to farmland (-4 BP; -4 Consumption)

6 – Edicts: Promotion = None (-1 Stability); Taxation = None (+1 Loyalty); Festivals per Year = 0 (-1 Loyalty)

Income Phase:
1 – Deposits: None

2 – Benefit From Trade Options: None this month

3 – Sell Valuable Items: Made checks (60, 67, 73, 76, 72) to sell 1 medium and 4 minor items for 16 BP

4 – Generate Income: Made Economy check (72 vs. DC 57) and gained +14 BP

Event Phase:
Good weather (+4 to Loyalty checks till next Event Phase)
Back to top Go down
Leonis

Number of posts : 746

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 6:35 pm

Weird I didn't get any posts for a while.

I would like for us to focus on things to reduce our consumption and for things to reduce our unrest/loyalty roll. Yes it may not come often but when it comes it could be huge.

Mike - great rolls, and good job on handling the situations. I agree, taking the other small village was a good choice. Anything to increase our economy is a bonus in the long run Smile

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 7:36 pm

Leonis wrote:
Weird I didn't get any posts for a while.

That happens sometimes. I didn't get an update for your post right now, for example. I find it a good idea to check daily when I know we're handling stuff on the forums.

Quote :
I would like for us to focus on things to reduce our consumption and for things to reduce our unrest/loyalty roll. Yes it may not come often but when it comes it could be huge.

True. Luckily your Unrest is currently still 0, so you have no penalties to any rolls now.

Speaking of rolls, let's get started on the next month (i.e. the month after you deal with the chimeras, and the 2nd month after you gained Varnhold). Roll me a Stability check please (which you can't fail except on a 1).
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 7:54 pm

NO WAMMIES!

LOL: I rolled a Mike

Last edited by Leonis on Wed May 04, 2011 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 7:54 pm

The member 'Leonis' has done the following action : Dice roller

'd20' : 4
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 9:04 pm

Leonis wrote:
NO WAMMIES!

LOL: I rolled a Mike

Heh! Still a success, so you gain 1 BP. And then have to pay the month's consumption, i.e. 7 BP, leaving you with 35 BP for the month.

Presumably there will be no changes in leadership positions this month, so the main decision is what you do about claiming new hexes. You can claim up to 3, each of which will cost 1 BP and add 1 to Consumption. Since you guys are trying to do as much farmland as possible, you might want to claim just the 1 hex this time, making it the only plains hex in the Varnhold area. If you take that and convert it to farmland, as well as converting another of the hill hexes near Lakeshore, that'll cost a total of 7 BP (1 BP for 1 hex, 2 BP for farmland in a plains hex, 4 BP for farmland in a hill hex) and lower your Consumption by 3 (+1 for the new hex, -4 for the two farms).

You could alternatively claim 3 hexes, including the plains one in Varnhold, the hot springs one to the north, and a plains one next to the hot springs, and convert the two plains hexes to farmland. That would cost 7 BP and lower your Consumption by 1, which would mean you have to pay 2 BP more than the other option, but you do have two extra hexes and also can claim more plains hexes next month.

You should also keep in mind that your economy is now strong enough to deal with having to pay some Consumption each month, so it's not as if you absolutely need to eliminate Consumption ASAP.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 9:17 pm

Let's go for option two. That will make next month easier.
Back to top Go down
Rowan

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 10:10 pm

Or we could spend 8 BP to turn two hill hexes into farms, and lower our consumption by 4. Each hex we claim increases the DCs of our stability, economy, and loyalty checks, so it's not necessarily a good thing to keep expanding hexes every month.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 10:12 pm

But our DC rolls are not that bad, and it will be for this month. Next month we will have access to more plains.

EDIT: BTW I am not saying we expand every month, this month gives us some nice things.
Back to top Go down
Rowan

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 10:21 pm

It costs 3 BP to take a hex of fields and convert it into farms, which reduces consumption by 1. It costs 4 BP to convert a hills hex we already possess into farms, which reduces consumption by 2 and doesn't raise our command DCs. The latter is a better bet in the long term. When we run out of hills we own to turn into farms, then we can start claiming the plains.

Tactically, it's also easier for us to defend the hill land in the case of war. All of the plains are right next to the Drelev border, while the hills in the south and west are better protected by the city.

Shil, is there anything I'm not taking into account here? Am I being too cautious?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 10:33 pm

Rowan wrote:
Shil, is there anything I'm not taking into account here? Am I being too cautious?

No, you're accurate about the stuff you mentioned.

As for being too cautious, only time will tell. You're certainly being more cautious than Avi is, but your approach definitely shouldn't get you into trouble in the long-term. His presumably shouldn't, but you can't know until the time passes.

So, do either of you want to shift to the other's position, or should I deliver the tiebreaker?
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 10:34 pm

I am not adamant about my position so if Mike really wants it he can have it. Though, there will be a price, Rowan has to agree to a romantic date with Leonis.
Back to top Go down
Rowan

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 11:02 pm

Leonis wrote:
I am not adamant about my position so if Mike really wants it he can have it. Though, there will be a price, Rowan has to agree to a romantic date with Leonis.
Sure. Though, as ruler, Rowan will delegate the responsibility for going on the date. To Grabthar.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 11:09 pm

Rowan wrote:
Leonis wrote:
Sure. Though, as ruler, Rowan will delegate the responsibility for going on the date. To Grabthar.

I was thinking of that, and hence my words were simple " Rowan has to agree to a romantic date with Leonis"

BTW - You delegate responsibility to someone who is in lesser position then you. Are you saying that you are superior to Grabthar and that Grabthar is lesser then Rowan?" Basketball
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)   Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kingdom issues (after claiming Varnhold)
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next