Shil's Eberron Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shil's Eberron Game

Private board for a 3.5e D&D Eberron game

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kingdom issues (After the bralani)

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2006-09-11

Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 8:53 am

The member 'Leonis' has done the following action : Dice roller

'd20' : 11
Back to top Go down
https://eberrongame.forumotion.com
Leonis

Number of posts : 746

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 11:17 am

Leonis will wait for Rowan to greet the emmisaries first and will then follow suit. For the mean time Leonis will let Rowan take tthe lead since she is better at diplomacy (ooc: I have+ 0, though my bluff is great). Leonis may chime in as necessary.

Ooc: what this means is I may make some suggestions, but unless called out I will be relatively quiet. I need to get some ranks in diplomacy so I don't totally screw us over...man, where is gareth when I need him.

I am making a roll in case shil needs one from me.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 11:17 am

'd20' : 18
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 11:35 am

Leonis wrote:
Ooc: what this means is I may make some suggestions, but unless called out I will be relatively quiet. I need to get some ranks in diplomacy so I don't totally screw us over...man, where is gareth when I need him.

Just for the record, I'm not going to screw the group over when it comes to negotiations and diplomacy-oriented interactions with NPCs because one person has a poor Diplomacy score. As I did with the Guardian Angels, as long as you're all involved in the discussion, I'll use the best Diplomacy score (or have everyone roll and take the best result). Sometimes, the presence of people with poor Diplomacy will create a bit of a penalty, and, of course, what someone says could create a larger penalty. In short, you don't have to have Leonis say nothing/little because of his Diplomacy score.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 3:40 pm

Well in that case
Leonis helps greet the envoy as they are ushered into the Citadel. As everyone gathers into the room, "Welcome emmisaries of Varnhold to Lakeshore. It is an honor to receive your greetings from your Lord". Pausing for a moment to smile at everyone, "my name is Leonis, and the people beside me are the co-leaders." Leonis introduces everyone with any titles they go by. "Please have a seat and let us speak."
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 7:48 pm

Leonis wrote:
Leonis welcomes his dwarven apprentice.

The dwarven apprentice, who has been introduced as Iveni Toriun, bows low and says, "I am honored, master Leonis. I shall endeavor to be as useful as I can be." She then, a little hesitantly, asks, "Will I need to stay here or at your villa ... or somewhere else?"

Quote :
Leonis helps greet the envoy as they are ushered into the Citadel. As everyone gathers into the room, "Welcome emmisaries of Varnhold to Lakeshore. It is an honor to receive your greetings from your Lord". Pausing for a moment to smile at everyone, "my name is Leonis, and the people beside me are the co-leaders." Leonis introduces everyone with any titles they go by. "Please have a seat and let us speak."

Helas listens carefully as the names are being mentioned, clearly trying to commit them all to memory. Then, as Leonis asks her to be seated, she steps forward, smiling broadly, and drops into the closest chair. Helas sighs and says, tone and demeanor much less formal than it was only moments earlier, "Thanks, Leonis. And, before I say anything else, I apologize ahead of time in case I get someone's name wrong. As I think you'll find out, I'm not very good at being a ... diplomat."

The gnome, who is still standing, coughs politely, and Helas turns to look at her and grimaces, though her tone is jovial as she turns to address Leonis and the others. "Which is why I have a couple of people to keep me in line. This is Youma," she says, jerking her head at the gnome, "My advisor, and this is Riaan," indicating the half-elf, "My scribe."

As Helas speaks, both of them bow as well, before seating themselves as she gestures for them to. Youma smiles placidly at everyone around the table before saying, "Helas belies herself. She is a worthy ambassador. Only a little ... forgetful?" The last words are delivered with a sideways glance at Helas, who looks surprised for a moment, before nodding quickly. "Right. Riaan - the documents."

Riaan reaches into a bag at his belt and extracts a scroll, which he hands to Helas, who then slides it across the table to whichever of the rulers is closest. Within is an official document extending friendship and offers for trade to Khatovar. They are signed by Magra Varn, who has taken up the position of governor of Varnhold, and also contain signatures from Helas Gunder (warden), Ervil Pendrod (court mage) and Caspar Morgarion (court priest).
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 8:43 pm

The following happens over the course of the month after the delegation from Varnhold (which occurred at the end of the preceding month).

Leonis wrote:
No Wammies!

In comparison to the previous month, during which the bralani attack on Lakeshore occurred, things go much more smoothly. Exceedingly so, in fact. There is slowly growing confidence about the possibility that no more such attacks will occur, and the negotiations with the nation of Varnhold add to the sense that Khatovar is a stable little kingdom.

And a steadily growing one. The expansion of the settlers now extends to the ruined temple that Jhod Kavken has been looking to recover and once that occurs, the process for rebuilding it is quickly under way. With the temple being located well within the borders of the central forest, the entire process will take a couple of months, but the expansion of the country's roadways does help speed up the process.

Oleg, on one of his trips to Lakeshore from Olegton (where his duties keep him at least half of each month), brings the news that with the current financial status of the nation and the development of its infrastructure, they should be able to expand and erect buildings and other structures at a significantly increased speed, as long as they are careful enough with the finances. Nor should the population growth be something they are unable to support as long as the kingdom makes sure to develop enough area (plains or low hills) where farmlands can continue to be built while expanding.

Quote :
OOC: Here are the mechanics of the above.

Upkeep Phase:
Determine Kingdom Stability: Made it (36 vs. DC 30), so lowers Unrest by 1

Pay Consumption: Pay 1 BP

Fill Vacant Magic Item Slots: 1 medium and 1 minor item

Unrest: None

Improvement Phase:
Select Leadership: No change

Claim Hexes: Claim hex with Temple of the Elk (-1 BP; +1 Consumption). Increases kingdom size to 11, allowing 2 new hex claims, 2 new buildings and 2 new roads a month (can still only convert 1 hex into farmland per month).

Build Roads: Build road in hex 11 (-2 BP; total roads = 11)

Establish Farmlands: Designate hex 9 (hex north of Oleg's) as farmland (-2 BP; -2 Consumption)

OOC: As noted above, the kingdom can now erect two buildings this turn. You have 14 BP in hand.

Here's a list of your options.

Barracks (3 BP due to being halved by the Town Hall): improves defense and lowers unrest (but that's 0 now)
Brothel (4 BP; must be adjacent to 1 house): improves Economy and Loyalty but increases Unrest
City Wall (8 BP): improves defense and lowers unrest (but that's 0 now)
Dump (3 BP due to being halved by the Town Hall): improves Loyalty and Stability
Brewery or Granary (6 BP): improves Loyalty and Stability
Graveyard or Park (4 BP): improves Loyalty
House (3 BP): lowers unrest (but that's 0 now), and is the prerequisite for some buildings
Inn or Stable or Tavern (10 BP; must be adjacent to 1 house): improves city base value and Economy and Loyalty
Library (6 BP): improves Economy and Loyalty
Mill or Smith (6 BP): improves Economy and Stability
Monument (6 BP): significantly increases Loyalty and lowers unrest (but that's 0 now)
Shop (8 BP; must be adjacent to 1 house): improves city base value and Economy
Tannery (6 BP): improves Economy and Stability; cannot be next to a House
Tradesman (10 BP; must be adjacent to 1 house): improves city base value and Economy and Stability
Watchtower (6 BP due to being halved by the Town Hall): improves Stability and defense and lowers unrest (but that's 0 now)

You can build 2 structures and can either build both in Lakeshore or Olegton, or one in each. Note that Lakeshore lost a House and an Inn structure in the attack, which haven't been replaced (and you can build other structures in their spot). You could, of course, build only a single structure or two relatively cheap ones and save some of your BP for a larger/better structure next month.

Let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 10:07 pm

Admin wrote:
The dwarven apprentice, who has been introduced as Iveni Toriun, bows low and says, "I am honored, master Leonis. I shall endeavor to be as useful as I can be." She then, a little hesitantly, asks, "Will I need to stay here or at your villa ... or somewhere else?"

"It will be good to work with you. I am sure we will both be able to teach each other things and form a great bond. Obviously when I am away you will report directly to Elga, though you will follow her instructions even when I am here. She is in charge of this tower after all and helps set the policies of conducting magic in our small...kingdom. There are advantages to you joining us while we are small and that is because as we grow in size and strength so will you, not only in your spell casting but as someone who will help set policies and acquires position of rank. I would like for you to provide your feedback, when you see something that can be improved you can speak your mind. Does this sound acceptable to you?" Waiting for her response and after she finishes, "What is it you are looking to gain from this relationship?"

Admin wrote:
Helas "As I think you'll find out, I'm not very good at being a ... diplomat."

Leonis smiles, "That is not a big worry Helas. As you will find out we typically respond to comments such as 'Hey you, get me that thing that I already asked for', and that's when someone asking me to get something" Leonis gives a wink. "We want our citizens to be happy, and prosperous and believe that attitude and actions speak louder then pomp and stance."

Admin wrote:
This is Youma," she says, jerking her head at the gnome, "My advisor, and this is Riaan," indicating the half-elf, "My scribe."

Leonis nods his head towards them, "It is a pleasure to meet you both." Turning to Youma, "I am also fairly new to diplomatic relations, so if you have suggestions, please feel free to speak up." Looking back at Helas, "I see you also carry a weapon and armor, are you an accomplished warrior?"

Admin wrote:

Riaan reaches into a bag at his belt and extracts a scroll, which he hands to Helas, who then slides it across the table to whichever of the rulers is closest. Within is an official document extending friendship and offers for trade to Khatovar. They are signed by Magra Varn, who has taken up the position of governor of Varnhold, and also contain signatures from Helas Gunder (warden), Ervil Pendrod (court mage) and Caspar Morgarion (court priest).

Leonis reviews the scroll, "I think this would be a great and help foster an open, honest, and fair relationship between our to kingdoms. We will write a response letter to Magra Varn. We should also take into consideration extradition laws, and treaties to ensure criminals from one kingdom does not try and flee into another kingdom to escape justice. We believe in being fair, finding evidence, and depending on the situation either providing an appropriate sentence. Do you think your liege would find this acceptable as well?"

OOC: I am not sure if Kingdom is proper...if it's not just replace it with whatever we call our area.

EDIT: 500th post for me Smile
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 10:13 pm

Admin wrote:

City Wall (8 BP): improves defense and lowers unrest (but that's 0 now)
House (3 BP): lowers unrest (but that's 0 now), and is the prerequisite for some buildings

I think we should do the house to replace the lost one, and do the city wall (as previously agreed to do). Next month, assuming nothing crazy, replace the Inn and then we can see about something else. If we already have a house in our main town then let's build one in Olegton since they do not have one.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 12:35 pm

Leonis wrote:
I think we should do the house to replace the lost one, and do the city wall (as previously agreed to do). Next month, assuming nothing crazy, replace the Inn and then we can see about something else. If we already have a house in our main town then let's build one in Olegton since they do not have one.

Actually, I forgot to mention that Kesten and Akiros will both suggest doing a Barracks or Watchtower instead. Both are cheaper than the walls and while they don't add quite as much protection, do raise defenses too and also help towards filling up the district (once it's full, you can build more districts, each of which can sell one more magic item a month) and raising the population.

Despite the loss of the one House in Lakeshore in the attack, you do have an extra one currently (i.e. one not fulfilling a prerequisite for another building), so you could build one in Olegton now and next month build an Inn in Lakeshore and some other House-dependent building in Olegton.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 2:24 pm

With that information (total 14BP)

Barracks (3BP)
House (3 BP Olegton)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 7:40 pm

Leonis wrote:
With that information (total 14BP)

Barracks (3BP)
House (3 BP Olegton)

I'm guessing nobody has a problem with those choices, so I'll apply them.

Roll me three Economy checks, please.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 7:55 pm

No Wammies!

ewww.

Last edited by Leonis on Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 7:55 pm

#1 'd20' : 15

--------------------------------

#2 'd20' : 8

--------------------------------

#3 'd20' : 11
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 9:14 pm

The well-established, if small, economic machine of Khatovar continues to function and grow. Magic items are created which benefit the people and improve trade; lumber from the forests creates homes, provides warmth and is carried across the border to Aundair; and the large tracts of land covered in farms and orchards are now producing enough to feed the populace and even be sent via Olegton to the markets of the nearby Aundairan town of Redleaf and the southern city of Varna. With the steadily improving economy, it seems that there should not be any immediate problems to continuing the growth of Khatovar's borders and the development of its various settlements.

Leonis wrote:
No Wammies!

ewww.

OOC: Why "ewww"? You got slightly above average rolls all told. Anyway, you guys have a strong Economy now, so short of a 1 you're not about to fail (though better rolls, esp. on the last one, would gain you more BP).

The above rolls translated to the following mechanical changes:

Sell Valuable Items: Made checks (48 and 41) to sell 1 minor and 1 medium, so +10 BP

Generate Income: Made Economy check (44 vs. 31) and gained +8 BP

That gives you 26 BP to start the next month, which gives you a lot of options.

But first, a few more things which occur...
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 9:36 pm

You know me. I expect perfection from my rolls Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 9:45 pm

Late in the month of Nymm, Jubilost Narthropple returns to Khatovar from her latest trade expedition to Aundair. As had been planned in her previous meeting with the rulers, she has left nothing planned for the next few weeks, leaving her free to head the delegation to Fort Drelev. After a few days discussing the details with the rulers, once she has been furnished her with the appropriate retinue and official documents, she heads north.

Shortly after Jubilost leaves for Drelev, a couple of very divergent pieces of news arrive. One is an official message from the court of Aundair, signed and sealed by Queen Aurala herself, asking the rulers of Khatovar to prepare to greet an ambassador to them, who will be arriving within ten days. The ambassador is Lord Darro ir'Lain, Second Warlord of the Realm and commander of the Knights Arcane (Aundair's famed cavalry contingent of warrior-mages), known to be the most powerful noble in Aundair outside the royal family.

The other is a more immediate issue but probably less important for the long-term. There is news of a hill giant having been sighted within the western border of Khatovar, which has attacked and slain a couple of hunters. Figuring that the rulers would want to deal with the creature (and Grabthar probably has some avenging he would want to do) and can do so without risking the lives of his soldiers, Kesten has his people note the area where the giant has been sighted and give it a wide berth, bringing the news to the rulers instead.

OOC: We'll handle these issues during the session tomorrow, depending on how much time we have.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 11:31 pm

Leonis requests that the proper arrangements are made for Lord Darro ir'Lain, and let's Helas know in case she would like to meet a warrior-mage of this statue. He then sends a response to the Queen

Leonis prepares with the group to find the hill giant. "Grabthar, we may want to get you a potion of enlarge, or a scroll if time permits before the battle"
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 11:50 pm

Leonis wrote:
Leonis requests that the proper arrangements are made for Lord Darro ir'Lain, and let's Helas know in case she would like to meet a warrior-mage of this statue. He then sends a response to the Queen

Helas wouldn't be there at this point. Chronologically, the message from Aundair comes a good 3 weeks after Helas comes to Khatovar, so she would have headed back to Varnhold.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 12:00 am

Whhops, my bad, I meant the witch, not the diplomat
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 12:28 am

Leonis wrote:
Whhops, my bad, I meant the witch, not the diplomat

Serves me right for providing a Helga and an Elga Smile

And when asked about it, Elga snorts and says, "If I was interested in spending time with some stupid Aundairan fop, I wouldn't have been living in a hut in the wilderness. You have fun with it."
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 10:37 am

We'll deal with the delegation from Varnhold when we play today, but as for this...

Admin wrote:

Leonis wrote:
"It will be good to work with you. I am sure we will both be able to teach each other things and form a great bond. Obviously when I am away you will report directly to Elga, though you will follow her instructions even when I am here. She is in charge of this tower after all and helps set the policies of conducting magic in our small...kingdom. There are advantages to you joining us while we are small and that is because as we grow in size and strength so will you, not only in your spell casting but as someone who will help set policies and acquires position of rank. I would like for you to provide your feedback, when you see something that can be improved you can speak your mind. Does this sound acceptable to you?" Waiting for her response and after she finishes, "What is it you are looking to gain from this relationship?"

"Certainly," Iveni says in response to the first question. "I shall endeavor to live up to these responsibilities and aid you as best I can."

To Leonis' second question, she smiles slightly and says, "Primarily, knowledge. About the art and craft of magic, but I'll appreciate anything else I can learn too. As you can see," she indicates some of the sparse gray hairs in her neatly trimmed beard, "I have entered this path late. So I'd like to learn as much as I can, and I thought that with the creation of this new mage tower, I could benefit from serving here and especially under your tutelage."

She pauses, clearly thinking of something new, and then asks, with just a little hesitation, "If I might ask, will I be receiving any payment for my work here, or is my training to be considered the recompense? I'm asking in case I need to find another job. Which," she hastily adds, "Would not be a problem at all."

Elga interrupts at this point and says, addressing Leonis, "I think the money coming in from the magic item trading we've set up can easily cover for room and board and a little money for her. And I'll make sure she more than earns it by working on crafting things with me when you're busy." She shrugs. "At least that's my suggestion."
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 10:58 am

Smiling brightly, "Good, then it is settled. We will provide for your living expenses, training and stipen, and you will work in the tower assisting in what needs to be completed. Your skills as a mage will make you quite valuable and your time spent working here will be better spent then working at a tavern which will stifle your training and make you less valuable to us. As for age, do not worry about it; from my perspective everyone is old, and well young too." Leonis grins at the thought of his age in both the physical years he has been alive and the slowness of which people of elven heritage mature.
Back to top Go down
Rowan

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2006-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 2:06 pm

Admin wrote:
Shortly after Jubilost leaves for Drelev, a couple of very divergent pieces of news arrive. One is an official message from the court of Aundair, signed and sealed by Queen Aurala herself, asking the rulers of Khatovar to prepare to greet an ambassador to them, who will be arriving within ten days. The ambassador is Lord Darro ir'Lain, Second Warlord of the Realm and commander of the Knights Arcane (Aundair's famed cavalry contingent of warrior-mages), known to be the most powerful noble in Aundair outside the royal family.
Rowan doesn't look very pleased with this news. That evening, after finishing all her duties for the day, Rowan goes to the tavern, gets stinking drunk, and probably does something foolish with one of the more handsome single men there. Maybe a farm hand. The stronger and stupider the better.

Quote :
The other is a more immediate issue but probably less important for the long-term. There is news of a hill giant having been sighted within the western border of Khatovar, which has attacked and slain a couple of hunters. Figuring that the rulers would want to deal with the creature (and Grabthar probably has some avenging he would want to do) and can do so without risking the lives of his soldiers, Kesten has his people note the area where the giant has been sighted and give it a wide berth, bringing the news to the rulers instead.
When they receive this news, Rowan looks elated. She tries to hide it, because she dosn't want to appear excited about something that slew her citizens, but she looks like she's definitely looking forward to inflicting violence on something humanoid.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 2:28 pm

Rowan wrote:
The stronger and stupider the better.
stupider??
Leonis asks "why upset about the visit?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom issues (After the bralani)   Kingdom issues (After the bralani) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kingdom issues (After the bralani)
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next