Shil's Eberron Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shil's Eberron Game

Private board for a 3.5e D&D Eberron game

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kingdom mass combat

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2006-09-11

Kingdom mass combat Empty
PostSubject: Kingdom mass combat   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 10:03 am

Before we start working out what sort of armies you create and such issues, here are two changes I'm making to the mass combat rules I'd sent you earlier:

Quote :
1 – The payment per month to maintain armies in the field is 2 x Consumption (not 4 x Consumption, as was originally the case)

2 – When equipping an army with mounts, you have to pay 2 x mount CR at creation (not Mount CR, as was originally the case)

Now, on to the issue of your armies. You currently have two armies provided you by Darro, which have the following statistics:

Regular Army Unit; CR 5; Huge army of humans (500 warrior3); hp 27; DV 15; OM +6; Resources: Improved weapons; Speed 2; Consumption 4

Elite cavalry unit; CR 4; Large army of humans (200 fighter3); hp 22; DV 17; OM +7; Resources: Improved armor, improved weapons, mounts; Speed 3; Consumption 6. Tactics: Cavalry experts.

You also have one army of centaurs, with the following statistics:

Nomen centaurs; CR 4; Medium army of centaurs (100 Centaur ranger1); hp 22; DV 16; OM +6, ranged; Resources: Ranged weapons; Speed 3; Consumption 3; Tactics: Cavalry Experts, Sniper Support; Special Abilities: Always treated as mounted, has no consumption while held in reserve in their own lands

If holding these armies in reserve, you have to pay the consumption cost (13 BP combined, or 10 BP as long as the centaurs are in reserve in their own lands) each month. If they are in the field, you have to pay twice the consumption cost. You can also pay to raise additional armies right now. Currently, your kingdom can support a total of 5 armies (which Darro’s don’t count against, but the centaurs do). After raising an army, you can break it up into smaller segments and station it in different areas, if needed (e.g. you can raise an army of 500 Fighter3s, and then break it into two armies of 200 and one of 100). Here’s a list of the different types of troops you have available, with the CR (which'll determine cost for raising an army of them, depending on how many you raise).

Warrior3 (base CR1): Up to 1000 total. Infantry.
Warrior4 (base CR2): Up to 500 total. Infantry.
Fighter2 (base CR1). Up to 1000 total. Infantry or cavalry.
Fighter3 (base CR2). Up to 500 total. Infantry or cavalry.
Fighter4 (base CR3). Up to 200 total. Infantry or cavalry.
Kobold Rogue2 (base CR1). Up to 200 total. Infantry. Automatically has Dirty Fighters tactic at creation.
Note: If building cavalry, you can have a maximum of 500.

Once you start building armies, you would have to choose leaders for them. Besides the PCs, your kingdom has a number of NPCs who can command troop units if you wish them to, with stats as follows:

Akiros (female warforged) – Bbn3/Ftr2; 5 ranks in Profession (Soldier); Cha 10
Asaia Bell (female human) – Ranger6; 6 ranks in Profession (Soldier); Cha 10
Fluin Tullier (male human) – Fighter4; 4 ranks in Profession (Soldier); Cha 12
Kesten Garess (male human) – Ftr5; 5 ranks in Profession (Soldier); Cha 12
Retief Ness (male human) – Fighter7; 7 ranks in Profession (Soldier); Leadership feat; Cha 16

So, after paying the maintenance for your existing armies, what kind of troops do you want to raise? You have a total of 86 BP this month (of which 10/12 goes on maintenance of the three existing armies), but some of that will also have to be spent on kingdom growth, infrastructure, etc (which we'll handle in the Kingdom Management thread).

Last edited by Admin on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://eberrongame.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom mass combat   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 11:06 pm

One thing which will likely be a factor when raising armies is the fact that you need to make a Loyalty check while doing so for each army, with a penalty of twice the CR of the army. Someone with the Leadership feat can provide a +4 to this check, but only for one army per month (Retief is the one NPC you have with the feat).

Your current Loyalty is 67 and your Command DC is 76, so you might want to spend on a few things to raise your score. For example, having no taxation (which is what you normally do) provides a +1 boost for the month and if you spend 4 BP on festivals you'd get another +3 for the month. Building a couple of Parks (2 BP each in Lakeshore, due to the Theater) would permanently boost Loyalty by +1 each and you could build a Monument in Hunter's Horn (for 3 BP) which would boost Loyalty by +2. So you could spend 13 BP (festivals, 3 Parks, 1 Monument) and boost Loyalty by +9, so up to 76. That would give you a pretty good shot at making the army creation checks.

Back to top Go down
Six of Six

Number of posts : 257

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom mass combat   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 12:18 am

When is the big battle?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom mass combat   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 8:56 am

Six of Six wrote:
When is the big battle?

Hey, long time no see (well, besides Julia and me spotting you while leaving Avi's place last time). As for your question, in game time the battle should be within a couple of weeks, and in real time probably two sessions. It's not going to be the big battle, however, since even if the PCs win (or lose), it's only the first step in a war.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Sample armies   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Here are a list of sample armies that you can create (as long as you pay the BP and make the Loyalty check), to make choices a little easier:

Basic Infantry (huge); CR 5; Huge army of humans (500 warrior3); hp 27; DV 15; OM +5; Speed 2; Consumption 3. Cost to create: 10 BP. Check to create: Loyalty at -10.

Basic Infantry (large); CR 3; Large army of humans (200 warrior3); hp 16; DV 13; OM +3; Speed 2; Consumption 2. Cost to create: 6 BP. Check to create: Loyalty at -6.

Basic Infantry (medium); CR 1; Medium army of humans (100 warrior3); hp 5; DV 11; OM +1; Speed 2; Consumption 1. Cost to create: 2 BP. Check to create: Loyalty at -2.

Elite Infantry (huge); CR 6; Huge army of humans (500 fighter3); hp 33; DV 17; OM +7; Speed 2; Resources: Improved Armor, Improved Weapons. Consumption 6. Cost to create: 21 BP. Check to create: Loyalty at -12.

Elite Infantry (large); CR 4; Large army of humans (200 fighter3); hp 22; DV 15; OM +5; Speed 2; Resources: Improved Armor, Improved Weapons. Consumption 5. Cost to create: 17 BP. Check to create: Loyalty at -8.

Elite Infantry (medium); CR 2; Medium army of humans (100 fighter3); hp 11; DV 13; OM +3; Speed 2; Resources: Improved Armor, Improved Weapons. Consumption 4. Cost to create: 13 BP. Check to create: Loyalty at -4.

Basic Cavalry (huge); CR 5; Huge army of humans (500 fighter2); hp 27; DV 17; OM +7; Speed 3; Resources: Mounts. Consumption 3. Cost to create: 12 BP. Check to create: Loyalty at -10.

Basic Cavalry (large); CR 3; Large army of humans (200 fighter2); hp 16; DV 15; OM +5; Speed 3; Resources: Mounts. Consumption 2. Cost to create: 8 BP. Check to create: Loyalty at -6.

Basic Cavalry (medium); CR 1; Medium army of humans (100 fighter2); hp 5; DV 13; OM +3; Speed 3; Resources: Mounts. Consumption 2. Cost to create: 4 BP. Check to create: Loyalty at -2.

Elite Cavalry (huge); CR 6; Huge army of humans (500 fighter3); hp 33; DV 19; OM +9; Resources: Improved armor, improved weapons, mounts; Speed 3; Consumption 7. Cost to create: 23 BP. Check to create: Loyalty at -12.

Elite Cavalry (large); CR 4; Large army of humans (200 fighter3); hp 22; DV 17; OM +7; Resources: Improved armor, improved weapons, mounts; Speed 3; Consumption 6. Cost to create: 19 BP. Check to create: Loyalty at -8.

Elite cavalry (medium); CR 2; Medium army of humans (100 fighter3); hp 11; DV 15; OM +5; Resources: Improved armor, improved weapons, mounts; Speed 3; Consumption 5. Cost to create: 15 BP. Check to create: Loyalty at -4.

Kobold skirmishers (large); CR3; Large army of kobolds (200 rogue2); hp 13; DV 13; OM +3; Speed 2; Tactics: Dirty Fighters; Consumption 1. Cost to create: 6 BP. Check to create: Loyalty at -6.

Kobold skirmishers (medium); CR1; medium army of kobolds (100 rogue2); hp 11; DV 11; OM +1; Speed 2; Tactics: Dirty Fighters; Consumption 1. Cost to create: 2 BP. Check to create: Loyalty at -2.

Note: To add ranged weapons to any army, add 2 BP to creation cost and 1 BP to Consumption.
Back to top Go down
Nameless

Number of posts : 307

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom mass combat   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Admin wrote:
One thing which will likely be a factor when raising armies is the fact that you need to make a Loyalty check while doing so for each army, with a penalty of twice the CR of the army. Someone with the Leadership feat can provide a +4 to this check, but only for one army per month (Retief is the one NPC you have with the feat).

Your current Loyalty is 67 and your Command DC is 76, so you might want to spend on a few things to raise your score. For example, having no taxation (which is what you normally do) provides a +1 boost for the month and if you spend 4 BP on festivals you'd get another +3 for the month. Building a couple of Parks (2 BP each in Lakeshore, due to the Theater) would permanently boost Loyalty by +1 each and you could build a Monument in Hunter's Horn (for 3 BP) which would boost Loyalty by +2. So you could spend 13 BP (festivals, 3 Parks, 1 Monument) and boost Loyalty by +9, so up to 76. That would give you a pretty good shot at making the army creation checks.

So we'll be at 61 after maintenance + the loyalty boosts. The bonuses basically get us to the point where it's a d20 vs 2xArmyCR.

Let's go with the
500 Ftr3 (BP12/CR6/Cs12)
Mounted - Light Warhorse (BP1?/CR1?/Cs1)
Imp Armor/Weapons (BP=3/6/Cs3)
Ranged Weapons (BP2/Cs1)
Healing Potions (BP10)
Total - Build Points : 34 /Consumption : 15 ( +5 to replenish potions)

200 Kobold Rogue 2 - (BP6/CR3/Cs6)
Imp Weapons (BP=6/Cs2)
Ranged Weapons (BP2/Cs1)
Total - Build Points : 14 /Consumption : 9

I want to do the potions for the Centaurs as well.
Build Points : 10 (5 to refill)

So that's 58 BP, leaving us 3 BP in reserve. Does the 86 BP include selling the items we create monthly?

Aren't we supposed to be able to raise up to a CR7 army? All of the options you list only go up to CR6. Admittedly, it will be difficult enough for me to make a dc 12 check, never mind a 14.

I guess we may as well attach Retief to the first army we raise in order to get the +4 on the check.

Looking things over and given our characters histories, I think all of our armies should probably start with the "Taunt" ability, at least if one of the PCs is leading them.

Actually giving each of the PCs a "tactic" like that isn't a bad idea.

I also want to scout at least a couple of likely battlefields for
"Battlefield Advantage: If particularly familiar with a battlefield, an army gains a +2 to both DV and OM."
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom mass combat   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 10:19 pm

Nameless wrote:
So we'll be at 61 after maintenance + the loyalty boosts. The bonuses basically get us to the point where it's a d20 vs 2xArmyCR.

Yup.

Quote :
Let's go with the
500 Ftr3 (BP12/CR6/Cs12)
Mounted - Light Warhorse (BP1?/CR1?/Cs1)
Ranged Weapons (BP2/Cs1)
Healing Potions (BP10)
Total - Build Points : 34 /Consumption : 15 ( +5 to replenish potions)

The warhorses would add 2 BP to the cost to raise the army, so that would be 35 to raise the above.

Quote :
Imp Weapons (BP=6/Cs2)
Ranged Weapons (BP2/Cs1)
Total - Build Points : 14 /Consumption : 9

I want to do the potions for the Centaurs as well.
Build Points : 10 (5 to refill)

So that's 58 BP, leaving us 3 BP in reserve. Does the 86 BP include selling the items we create monthly?

Yes, the 86 BP includes selling the items.

Personally, I'd recommend doing multiple smaller/cheaper armies, actually, rather than the single cavalry unit. Once the war kicks in, you're going to need to have some troops stationed at your different cities (esp. the ones close to Drelev), so having some cheaper troops to that end would be handy. Plus, in a battle, you'll benefit from having multiple armies in play rather than having one (even if it's of a high CR) which multiple enemy armies can attack at once. Plus multiple armies does give more for the individual PCs to lead (though you can admittedly do that by raising a big army and breaking it into smaller segments). Lastly, smaller armies will be easier for you to be sure of raising. Even with Retief, you have a 35% chance of failing to make the check to raise the cavalry. It's your call, of course.

Also, weren't you planning to spend money on walls for Hunter's Horn and Tatzlford? That would be 8 BP for each.

Quote :
Aren't we supposed to be able to raise up to a CR7 army? All of the options you list only go up to CR6. Admittedly, it will be difficult enough for me to make a dc 12 check, never mind a 14.

Technically, but the options I listed are basically the options you have at hand. You could hire a CR7 army from House Deneith, but it would end up a lot costlier than raising them yourselves.

Quote :
I guess we may as well attach Retief to the first army we raise in order to get the +4 on the check.

Makes sense.

Quote :
Looking things over and given our characters histories, I think all of our armies should probably start with the "Taunt" ability, at least if one of the PCs is leading them.

Actually giving each of the PCs a "tactic" like that isn't a bad idea.

Tactics generally come from experience, so armies will usually gain them once they win battles. You're not going to be able to start off with tactics except for the ones already in my list (like the ones for the kobolds).

Quote :
I also want to scout at least a couple of likely battlefields for
"Battlefield Advantage: If particularly familiar with a battlefield, an army gains a +2 to both DV and OM."

Okay. That'll generally apply in areas close to your cities and such, but we can say you're checking out other areas in your kingdom to that end too. For areas in Drelev, the opposing commanders would be doing that too, so if you scout out a couple of likely locations, if you engage their forces there then both sides get the benefit and it cancels out.
Back to top Go down
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom mass combat   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 1:05 am

Shil, I don't care any more.

You have told me I can't do anything I'm interested in doing with regards to this and that you've already decided what we can do. Have fun playing chess with your self.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom mass combat   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 6:00 am

Nameless wrote:

You have told me I can't do anything I'm interested in doing with regards to this and that you've already decided what we can do. Have fun playing chess with your self.

Shocked

Where did I say you can't do anything? I merely suggested doing multiple slightly lower CR armies because that's likely to be more effective, would give the individual PCs more to lead, and you'd have a better chance of making the rolls to raise them. And then I added that it's your decision, because it is.

What am I missing here?
Back to top Go down
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom mass combat   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 9:00 pm

Admin wrote:
Nameless wrote:

Shocked

Okay I've had my bi-monthly meltdown and are thinking rationally again. It's been a VERY long couple of weeks at work. I put in four 10-11 hr days last week alone. So I've been more stressed than I think I realized.

I apologize for the overreaction, but that's part of the depression I suffer from. The meds are usually effective in giving me enough perspective to sit down and put it off until I've cooled down, but I have had trouble falling asleep recently and when that's happening my mind doesn't have anything to do but stew on the things that are aggravating me.

I was so out of it this afternoon, from how little sleep I got that I found myself shoveling coffee into my cup rather than my french press.

What I found particularly aggravating this time was the "You can have a CR6 but not a CR7 army." bit. It basically strikes me as arbitrary and well petty. There is no game balance issue here between the two, us having CR7 armies is not going to break the game somehow. It's not like we're in some sort of vastly superior military position and in fact Irrovetti has 4000 human infantry, 500 Barbs and 50 Wyverns and 50 hill giants. We don't have anything even vaguely close to that, which is another reason why I found this especially irksome.

CR of the army also determines the vast majority of the important characteristics (offense/defense/HP).

Admin wrote:
Where did I say you can't do anything? I merely suggested doing multiple slightly lower CR armies because that's likely to be more effective, would give the individual PCs more to lead, and you'd have a better chance of making the rolls to raise them. And then I added that it's your decision, because it is.

What am I missing here?
Admin wrote:
Technically, but the options I listed are basically the options you have at hand. You could hire a CR7 army from House Deneith, but it would end up a lot costlier than raising them yourselves.

You had previously rejected out of hand the Griffon riders I was interested in doing.

"This list has your only options" was also very annoying though for somewhat different reasons. This is a very highly abstracted combat system. there is absolutely no difference in the system between a 100 strong army of CR 6 char/creatures and 1000 CR 1 creatures (cr as in what you are using to calculate the army rating not of that of the individual creatures). Part of the fun for me at least of getting to do something like Kingmaker IS in getting to do stuff like have a flight of elite griffon riders or something funky and odd like that. Elite Griffon riders are mechanically really not different than standard mounted Calvary, they might have a minor bonus and presumably a higher movement rate. But basically it's just flavor text.

Saying "here's your only options" with what are just minor variations is BOOORRRRING. I mean if you're basically making all the decisions, then why am I bothering.

FWIW, it is mechanically MUCH less expensive to raise a larger army and break it apart than it is to raise multiple smaller armies. A 500 CR3 army costs 14 bp, two 200 cr3 and one 100 cr3 army are 26 bp. That's without getting into the costs for enhancements that are fixed.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom mass combat   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 9:52 pm

Nameless wrote:
Okay I've had my bi-monthly meltdown and are thinking rationally again. It's been a VERY long couple of weeks at work. I put in four 10-11 hr days last week alone. So I've been more stressed than I think I realized.

I apologize for the overreaction, but that's part of the depression I suffer from. The meds are usually effective in giving me enough perspective to sit down and put it off until I've cooled down, but I have had trouble falling asleep recently and when that's happening my mind doesn't have anything to do but stew on the things that are aggravating me.

I was so out of it this afternoon, from how little sleep I got that I found myself shoveling coffee into my cup rather than my french press.

Ouch! That sounds pretty bad, but I'm glad you're feeling better. I figured it might be something of the kind, which is why I didn't respond with what I was half-tempted to do after seeing your post, which is to simply quit DMing for the group as it currently stands. I wasn't mad or anything, but just really tired of the negativity. I'm fine with disagreements or posts like the one you just made, of course.

Quote :
What I found particularly aggravating this time was the "You can have a CR6 but not a CR7 army." bit. It basically strikes me as arbitrary and well petty. There is no game balance issue here between the two, us having CR7 armies is not going to break the game somehow. It's not like we're in some sort of vastly superior military position and in fact Irrovetti has 4000 human infantry, 500 Barbs and 50 Wyverns and 50 hill giants. We don't have anything even vaguely close to that, which is another reason why I found this especially irksome.

CR of the army also determines the vast majority of the important characteristics (offense/defense/HP).

A fair amount of stuff is going to seem arbitrary because I'm eyeballing things. According to the modules, you should be at the stage you are (taking on Irovetti) after something like 4 years of ruling, with a drastically larger kingdom and more resources. Irovetti would also have dramatically more powerful forces, so I've cut down on his stuff a lot too and am judging things based on his resources (if you want to see arbitrary, you should see what the modules gave him, with no mechanical way to support them and no justification beyond "he had a lot of money earlier"). Basically, I'm juggling a lot of stuff and based on the kingdom you have, I made a judgment call and figured that I'd give you a certain number of potential troops. The armies I listed came to a max of CR6, but I didn't think that was a big deal.

And now, looking at the total number of troops available of each type in my first post, you could get two CR7 armies by enlisting 1000 War3s and/or 1000 Ftr2s. I'd forgotten to make up numbers for them while making the sample armies (which I was actually doing to make things easier for you guys on the calculation front), so they're available too.

Quote :
You had previously rejected out of hand the Griffon riders I was interested in doing.

"This list has your only options" was also very annoying though for somewhat different reasons. This is a very highly abstracted combat system. there is absolutely no difference in the system between a 100 strong army of CR 6 char/creatures and 1000 CR 1 creatures (cr as in what you are using to calculate the army rating not of that of the individual creatures). Part of the fun for me at least of getting to do something like Kingmaker IS in getting to do stuff like have a flight of elite griffon riders or something funky and odd like that. Elite Griffon riders are mechanically really not different than standard mounted Calvary, they might have a minor bonus and presumably a higher movement rate. But basically it's just flavor text.

That was mainly a decision based on flavor issues. You just can't get a large number of griffons as an army in Eberron, just like you can't get a lot of other stuff. But see end of post below...

Quote :
Saying "here's your only options" with what are just minor variations is BOOORRRRING. I mean if you're basically making all the decisions, then why am I bothering.

I think you're underestimating the effect of the minor variations. 500 Ftr3 infantry and 500 Ftr3 cavalry with improved armor and weapons are dramatically different from each other mechanically, even if the base appears to be the same.

Quote :
FWIW, it is mechanically MUCH less expensive to raise a larger army and break it apart than it is to raise multiple smaller armies. A 500 CR3 army costs 14 bp, two 200 cr3 and one 100 cr3 army are 26 bp. That's without getting into the costs for enhancements that are fixed.

Yeah, I noticed that. The multiple smaller armies actually work out more effective unless the larger army is dramatically bigger and better equipped (kinda like two CR5 enemies or three CR4 enemies can be a lot tougher than one CR7 enemy), so I'm guessing they took that into account.

Anyway, all of that being said, here's what I'll do. As mentioned above, you can do two CR7 armies with enough War3s or Ftr2s, but besides that I'll come up with a couple more unique armies (including griffons) which you can get via House Deneith and let you know how much that'll cost. Sound good?
Back to top Go down
Six of Six

Number of posts : 257

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom mass combat   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 10:38 pm

So like, where is the artillery?

Having one or two big units is employing the "a walkin' and a whompin'" tactic. It works if your army can easily defeat any enemy and can get to all potential hot spots in a timely manner. It this the case, I don't know what the combat system is.

Is Operation Headhunter a viable option. "King's Agreement" is a notion that the warring nations won't target each others leadership. If the players are willing to violate this code and deal with the reprisals, killing the enemy's leadership, military, governmental and economic, might be away to go.
Back to top Go down
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom mass combat   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 11:00 pm

Six of Six wrote:

Having one or two big units is employing the "a walkin' and a whompin'" tactic. It works if your army can easily defeat any enemy and can get to all potential hot spots in a timely manner. It this the case, I don't know what the combat system is.

I can email you copies of the rules for this. I was thinking of trying to wargame out some of the mechanics to see what is most effective. Perhaps we could give it a shot tomorrow night. I was thinking in particular of seeing what's the optimal balance between cr and # of armies.

Six of Six wrote:
Is Operation Headhunter a viable option. "King's Agreement" is a notion that the warring nations won't target each others leadership. If the players are willing to violate this code and deal with the reprisals, killing the enemy's leadership, military, governmental and economic, might be away to go.

Hi Dave. The guys we are up against are at least somewhat more powerful and there are more of them. I believe he's got at least 10 high Lvl char, we have 5. So that's not viable as a primary option. We have whittled down at least a couple of his primary flunkies.

However, his kingdom's economy and food supply is much more strained than ours, so we were planning on hitting food stores and bridges/transport where possible.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom mass combat   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 4:58 pm

Six of Six wrote:

I believe it's collected in the form of a big goliath called Grabthar.

Quote :

As John noted, it's probably a little difficult due to the enemies having more in the way of high level enemies. The PCs, as far as they know, are higher level than most of the foes (i.e., there are less than five enemies at level/CR 12+), but there are more enemies at, say, levels 9+ than the PCs and their allies of that level.

Interestingly, Irovetti actually made an offer to the PCs to have a sort of "King's Agreement", as you describe it, along with an agreement to not target each others' populace . The PCs made a vague agreement, for what it's worth.

Nameless wrote:
I can email you copies of the rules for this. I was thinking of trying to wargame out some of the mechanics to see what is most effective. Perhaps we could give it a shot tomorrow night. I was thinking in particular of seeing what's the optimal balance between cr and # of armies.

I was planning to actually try some of that out, but haven't had the time to do so. If you guys do try it, I'm interested to hear what you find.
Back to top Go down
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom mass combat   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 10:49 pm

I want to go with the two armies I'd planned on raising. It's risk, but the cost is just so much lower to raising the army and breaking it apart if we succeed. We'll have Avi do the rolling sunday. Can we do aid another on the army raising check?

We'll drop the improved weapons on the Kobolds though, that will give us enough to build the two walls.
500 Ftr3 (BP12/CR6/Cs12)
Mounted - Light Warhorse (BP2?/CR1?/Cs2)
Ranged Weapons (BP2/Cs1)
Healing Potions (BP10)
Total - Build Points : 35 /Consumption : 16 ( +5 to replenish potions)

Ranged Weapons (BP2/Cs1)
Total - Build Points : 8 /Consumption : 7

Walls for Hunter's Horn and Tatzlford : 16

That totals to 59, which will leave us 2 in reserve.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom mass combat   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 9:03 am

Nameless wrote:
I want to go with the two armies I'd planned on raising. It's risk, but the cost is just so much lower to raising the army and breaking it apart if we succeed. We'll have Avi do the rolling sunday. Can we do aid another on the army raising check?

Sure. I'll say that two people can aid the main person making the check.

Quote :
We'll drop the improved weapons on the Kobolds though, that will give us enough to build the two walls.
500 Ftr3 (BP12/CR6/Cs12)
Mounted - Light Warhorse (BP2?/CR1?/Cs2)
Ranged Weapons (BP2/Cs1)
Healing Potions (BP10)
Total - Build Points : 35 /Consumption : 16 ( +5 to replenish potions)

Ranged Weapons (BP2/Cs1)
Total - Build Points : 8 /Consumption : 7

Walls for Hunter's Horn and Tatzlford : 16

That totals to 59, which will leave us 2 in reserve.

Actually, you're going over what you have available, since you also need to be paying 12 BP for a House Sivis enclave (you promised that to them in return for them already placing people in all your towns and with your troops to facilitate communication). So your current costs, out of the 86 BP you started with, are as follows:

12 BP for Sivis enclave
16 BP for walls at Hunter's Horn and Tatzlford
13 BP on Festivals, 3 Parks, and 1 Monument
10 BP on maintaining current armies

That eats 51 BP of the 86 you had, leaving you 35, but in the interests of being a nice guy, I'll just say you can afford to raise the above armies and leave it at that. We can always say that you gain enough loot off the troll troop you killed to pay the difference.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom mass combat   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 9:22 am

Here are the final stats for the two new troops you created:

Elite cavalry unit (huge); CR 6; Huge army of humans (500 fighter3); hp 33; DV 19; OM +9; Resources: Healing potions, improved armor, improved weapons, mounts, ranged weapons; Speed 3; Consumption 8 (+5 BP to replenish potions after each battle they are used). Cost to create: 35 BP. Check to create: Loyalty at -12.

Kobold skirmishers (large); CR3; Large army of kobolds (200 rogue2); hp 13; DV 13; OM +3; Resources: Ranged weapons; Speed 2; Tactics: Dirty Fighters; Consumption 3. Cost to create: 8 BP. Check to create: Loyalty at -6.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kingdom mass combat   Kingdom mass combat Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kingdom mass combat
Page 1 of 1