Shil's Eberron Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shil's Eberron Game

Private board for a 3.5e D&D Eberron game

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fey and dinosaurs

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Luna

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2006-09-21

Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 8:53 pm

THough ... I am aching to mount the throne! I do so adore thrones! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Luna

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 8:53 pm

We might also look around for things that look like they might fit into the throne
Back to top Go down
Leonis

Number of posts : 746
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 10:45 pm

Admin wrote:

OOC: Never assume you can pull something off with another PC. Leonis, BTW, needs a natural 20 to be able to trip Kara (he's got lousy BAB and is weak, while she has much better BAB and is really dexterous).
True

Admin wrote:

I'm not seeing anything silly that she or Rowan have done, considering they are thus far just walking around. In order to search for Kesten, you basically have to head in the same direction as them, since this chamber is the one major area you haven't searched.

While you get a kick out of impulsiveness it tends not to be the best things. Taking a little extra time to make sure the throne and the amulet are not going to do something like turn someone into a turnip is not a bad idea. Inspecting a magic item before putting it on (something that has been done in this group on numerous occasions) is not a bad idea. Put it this way .... you find a bottle of some random liquid do you grab it and drink it without thinking twice or do you first try and make sure it's not oh I don't know, arsenic? We seem to ignore that strategy sometime.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 11:14 pm

Luna wrote:
I'll go to unbind Kresten and administer whatever healing he might need.
Maybe he will be able to tell us something more about the necklace or the throne or the symbols

When revived, Kesten sits up with a mingled groan and curse, grabbing for a non-existent weapon as he looks around wildly. When he realizes that all of you are present and no enemies are, he looks even more confused. You quickly discover that he has been unconscious since he was knocked out during the battle 2 days ago and has no idea what has gone on since. Kesten thanks you for the healing and the rescue, and then asks for a weapon so he can defend himself if needed.

Quote :
THough ... I am aching to mount the throne! I do so adore thrones! Very Happy Very Happy

Go for it. What could go wrong Twisted Evil ?

Quote :
We might also look around for things that look like they might fit into the throne

There's no sign of anything that would fit into the thrones. In fact, the room in which Kesten and the sculpture are is almost completely empty. There is a backpack full of basic equipment and some tools, but that's it. There's no food or even a bedroll, which might be explained by the fact that celestial fey, like most outsiders, don't need to eat or sleep.

As for the thrones, once you examine them, you can see that they are quite dusty and have clearly not been touched in a very long time. The bralani seems to have left them alone.

Once Rowan and Leonis check for magic in the area, they discover that the entire chamber radiates faint transmutation and illusion magic. It's evident that there are no spells in effect, and it seems rather that magic was very heavily used in the construction and thus still faintly permeates the area. Besides that, the only magical things in the chamber are the continual flame stones in the ceiling. The thrones are actually both completely non-magical.

The tall sculpture with the pendant-sized space is the only magical item present. It radiates strong divination, conjuration, abjuration, evocation and universal auras. Whether due to the magical element or not, it is an incredibly intricate carving, the trees and dancers and every element of it seeming incredibly well-carved. Every dancer has a distinctive face and expression, and the proportions are utterly perfect. It's as if someone took a real scene, froze it in stone, and shrunk it down to a height of three feet.

Leonis wrote:
While you get a kick out of impulsiveness it tends not to be the best things. Taking a little extra time to make sure the throne and the amulet are not going to do something like turn someone into a turnip is not a bad idea. Inspecting a magic item before putting it on (something that has been done in this group on numerous occasions) is not a bad idea. Put it this way .... you find a bottle of some random liquid do you grab it and drink it without thinking twice or do you first try and make sure it's not oh I don't know, arsenic? We seem to ignore that strategy sometime.

That's all quite reasonable. I was only pointing out that Kara and Rowan were just walking over to look at the throne and the source of the light. That's hardly impulsive. You/Leonis seemed to be assuming things which nobody had mentioned doing.
Back to top Go down
https://eberrongame.forumotion.com
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 11:20 pm

Leonis will help scoop up the continual flame torch, and shut off the bottle of water and stow it away. Once he is done that he will attempt to identify the magic of the chamber, including the magic of the sculpture.

1) If Leonis is able to identify what the magic of the sculpture is I will wait for what you tell me
2) If Leonis is not able to figure it out without identify (and assistance from Rowan) then he will suggest we wait until the morning before attempting to fit the amulet to the statue.

Roll 1 = inspecting the chambers magic
Roll 2 = inspecting the statues magic

Knowledge Arcana +12. Spellcraft +15. Not including any assistance bonuses.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 11:20 pm

The member 'Leonis' has done the following action : Dice roller

#1 'd20' : 12

--------------------------------

#2 'd20' : 3
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 12:11 am

Leonis wrote:
Leonis will help scoop up the continual flame torch, and shut off the bottle of water and stow it away.

The continual flame stones are all attached to the ceiling 30 feet above. If Grabthar uses the remainder of the fly spell to fly up there and check, he finds them so well attached that even his giant strength can't pull them free. It seems that something like sovereign glue was used to attach them. The same seems to be the case for the endless decanter, which is utterly immobile. Grabthar, can if the others want, carve each out them out of the stone with his greataxe, which means you'll get the items but with a chunk of rock attached to each. The water, in any case, cannot be turned off since nobody knows the command word yet.

Quote :
Once he is done that he will attempt to identify the magic of the chamber, including the magic of the sculpture.

The magic of the chamber is simply the faint remnant of the significant amount of magic used to create it. The sculpture, unfortunately, is not something the group can identify without an identify.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 12:30 am

I ask Grabthar to help if he doesn't mind to get the decanter. I think it would be worth it to have for our town. To supply a water well that we never have to worry about. I will try to identify the magic word on it.

I plan on memorizing one identify spell for each of the magic items we find, plus two for the statue (just in case the first one fails).
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 9:04 am

Leonis wrote:
I ask Grabthar to help if he doesn't mind to get the decanter. I think it would be worth it to have for our town. To supply a water well that we never have to worry about. I will try to identify the magic word on it.

I plan on memorizing one identify spell for each of the magic items we find, plus two for the statue (just in case the first one fails).

You make camp in the large hall and spend the night there, with no mishaps. Kesten is not very keen on staying here but doesn't complain after having stated his position. Luckily, the night passes without any incidents, though all of you (except Leonis, who doesn't sleep in the same way humans and most other humanoids do) awake with a memory of vaguely disquieting dreams, though nobody recalls exactly what they were.

Once you have all awoken and eaten, Leonis casts an identify on the decanter and is able to deactivate the water flow, allowing Grabthar to extract it. He then casts an identify on the sculpture. The spell, however, provides less information than he would have expected it to, indicating only that the sculpture is a multifaceted device, primarily allowing magical travel but also usable for communication, among possibly other things. The one other thing that he does learn about it is that it is attuned to certain places strongly connected with the fey, this being one of them, and probably doesn't function in others. It might in fact be dangerous to move it beyond such locations.

When Leonis opens his haversack to extract the pendant and the other magic items, he discovers that the pendant's glow has turned significantly darker and it is warm to the touch (which it wasn't earlier). An identify cast on it confirms what he already knows, that it fits into the sculpture and is necessary to activate some of its functions. Besides the connection to the sculpture, it too is a communication device, allowing communication between its creator and the one it is attuned to. It is evidently designed to be attuned to only one user (chosen at creation), so nobody else can use it for communication, though others can use it in the sculpture.

Leonis' spells and knowledge of arcana indicate that both sculpture and pendant are relatively unique devices, not functioning as more normal magical items do.

OOC: I'll send out a list of the stuff you found on the bralani later. And, BTW, both pendant and sculpture count as minor artifacts, hence their resistance to anything below the most powerful of divination spells.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 10:01 am

Ooc: great I replaced six as the non_dreamer lol.

After studying the items Leonis looks to the group, "I have no idea who this is attuned to and where it will take us, though it might be to some crazy realm(leonis briefly explains other planes). We are probably, most definitely in my opinion, not ready for that. I know there are spells that can attune us to other realms but I don't know them. Also getting back could be hard. Given that, if the group wants to go I suggest we return Kestrel and come back here with enough supplies and some magic to help out." Looking at the pendant, "I would want the witch to help me study this pendant, it is beyond my knowledge and she might know more. Your thoughts?"
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 10:27 am

Leonis wrote:
Ooc: great I replaced six as the non_dreamer lol.

It's a tough job but someone's got to do it.

Quote :
After studying the items Leonis looks to the group, "I have no idea who this is attuned to and where it will take us, though it might be to some crazy realm(leonis briefly explains other planes). We are probably, most definitely in my opinion, not ready for that. I know there are spells that can attune us to other realms but I don't know them. Also getting back could be hard. Given that, if the group wants to go I suggest we return Kestrel and come back here with enough supplies and some magic to help out." Looking at the pendant, "I would want the witch to help me study this pendant, it is beyond my knowledge and she might know more. Your thoughts?"

Actually, Leonis would have learned enough from the identify to know that just putting the pendant in the sculpture doesn't automatically transport you. It simply activates the sculpture and allows access to its various abilities, which one must then choose to (and know or work out how to) activate.

Also, while examining and discussing all this, you notice that the pendant is gradually glowing more brightly and getting warmer. Rowan gets a strong sense that it has been in some way activated (hence the change in color of light and temperature), perhaps by the death of the bralani or by proximity to the sculpture. It is in the process of doing something, which was probably retarded by being placed in the haversack but not stopped (hence the change in color and temperature in there).

Whether that means you should put it back in the haversack (which may continue to retard the process) or specifically not do so (since it might still complete the process in there) or place it in the sculpture or something else altogether is up to experimentation.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 11:57 am

Ooc: given the change of data.

"Would you folks like for me to activate this?"

If the group says yes Leonis casts greater mage armor before putting the pendent in the statue.

If not, back to the haversack
Back to top Go down
Rowan

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2006-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 12:31 pm

Let's identify all the other magic gear we found on the Eladrin before we activate the statue. We may need it.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 12:46 pm

We did...just waiting for shil to notify us.
Back to top Go down
Luna

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 12:57 pm

Isay we engage the necklace in the sculpture... there is no other way to find out what we have here
Back to top Go down
Rowan

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 1:21 pm

I agree. I just think we should be prepared for the worst.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Rowan wrote:
Let's identify all the other magic gear we found on the Eladrin before we activate the statue. We may need it.

Here's what you found on the bralani:

+1 Falchion
+2 Mithral Chain Shirt
+2 Cloak of Resistance
Boots of Elvenkind
Bead of Force

So who's putting the pendant into the sculpture?
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 1:53 pm

I would like the cloak and boots.
I have magic circle vs evil to cast and will use the pendant
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 2:12 pm

Leonis wrote:
I would like the cloak and boots.
I have magic circle vs evil to cast and will use the pendant

Leonis casts his greater mage armor and magic circle vs evil, before placing the pendant in the slot of the same shape. As soon as he does so, the green glow from the sculpture flashes once and then flows inwards and upwards, forming into what looks like a lightly translucent window of faintly green light some 2 feet wide and 3 feet high. The top of the sculpture recedes into the stone, leaving it smooth and blank.

Through the window, one can see into a forest glade like a lifesize version of the one in the carving, albeit an unoccupied one. The translucent nature of the scene makes it difficult to make out too many details, except that there are lights in the trees moving back and forth and the sky above seems darker than one would expect anywhere in Khorvaire with its many moons, though that might have to do with the thick forest all around.

Though there is no visible manifestation of it, those in the room feel a faint sense of pressure pushing them away from the sculpture. When anyone mentions it and the others corroborate the feeling, it emerges that only Rowan does not.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 2:32 pm

"It seems this place only wants fey or those who have a connection, like rowan"

Without going in does the pressure feel mild or like a full blown wall?
what other options do I realize we have through the pendant
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 2:43 pm

Leonis wrote:
Without going in does the pressure feel mild or like a full blown wall?

Mild. No stronger than having a strong breeze blow at you constantly.

Quote :
what other options do I realize we have through the pendant

You believe that the sculpture allows transport between where you are and the glade that you can see, but whether that requires simply stepping through the window, casting an appropriate spell, using some other components, etc, is not evident.

Evidently the pendant can also be rotated left or right now that it has been inserted in the sculpture. What effect that has is again open to conjecture. You note that when it was inserted, four small carvings of a star appeared (one each to left, right, above and below). It seems that there are four positions that it can take, including the one in which it is now (pointing up).

Lastly, you note that the pendant is still warm and getting warmer, though the green glow has disappeared once it was placed in the sculpture. The effect that was under way is evidently still proceeding.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 2:52 pm

"I feel that turning the key will take us to another location. Are you guys ok with me experimenting? This may pull us some place or to some thing"

If the party is ok with this then I turn the knob
Back to top Go down
Rowan

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 6:53 pm

"We'll never know unless we experiment. Go ahead.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Leonis turns the medalian carefully and slowly paying careful attention to what happens.
Back to top Go down
Luna

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 10:30 pm

OMG! I can't breathe!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fey and dinosaurs   Fey and dinosaurs - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fey and dinosaurs
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shil's Eberron Game :: Kingmaker campaign-
Jump to: