Shil's Eberron Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shil's Eberron Game

Private board for a 3.5e D&D Eberron game

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

After the trolls

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2006-09-11

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 12:34 am

With the "troll king" Hargulka and his two minions defeated, the one decision for the victors to make is whether to slay them or not. They can, of course, easily keep one or more of the trolls unconscious indefinitely, by inflicting more damage on a regular basis.

The adventurers are also free to explore Hargulka's lair at their leisure. Besides the magical items possessed by the troll leader, he also possesses a large locked chest, inside the wagon which evidently served him as a bed. Within it are a number of gems and valuable objects, as well as thousands of gold, silver and copper coins.

Of perhaps more interest is a single gem which Hargulka was carrying in a pouch on his belt. It is a large cat's-eye chrysoberyl, carved in the shape of an eye. It takes only one glance to see that it seems a matching piece to the magical gem embedded in the necklace worn by the baobhan sith in the tower in the forest. Like that one, it too radiates moderate divination magic and an identify reveals that it is a secondary part of an item set, designed so that the possessor of the primary item can contact and speak to the person possessing the necklace. As with the other, even without the primary item, the gem itself is worth about 300 gp.

One last item of interest in the chamber is tacked to the western wall of the cavern - a large map drawn on the back of a thylacine hide. Several locations are marked on it, including the troll lair, the capital city and Olegton. Some areas are marked with large X marks along with several arrows and other marks. Kara, who speaks Giant, studies the map for a few minutes and can tell that the trolls had plans to carry out a series of organized, seemingly well-planned attacks in the region against the locations where civilization has intruded on the Stolen Lands. Luckily, most of these attacks never transpired, evidently being intended for the future. Another interesting thing Kara notes is that multiple areas where fey creatures live have been carefully marked too, with notes to avoid them.
Back to top Go down
https://eberrongame.forumotion.com
Rowan

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2006-09-16

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 1:58 pm

Rowan wants to interrogate the trolls. All three of them, in turn. First the minions, to find out what they know about this "troll king", where he came from and when, and who he works for. Whether they've overheard him saying anything. Whether he's acted strange for a troll.

Rowan still has most of her 1st level spell slots, and casts Charm Person on one minion and the troll king, as well as the third one if she has enough spell slots left after charming the first two. It's a Will save, DC 19.

She'll play "good cop, bad Grabthar" if she needs to. I figure that they'll respect and fear her fire magic and Grabthar's strength most of all.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 2:46 pm

All three trolls are charmed on the first try. Details to come in the evening, since I'm off to take a nap.

Mike, please roll me half a dozen Charisma checks.

And anyone else feel free to weigh in with additional questions.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 2:46 pm

The member 'Admin' has done the following action : Dice roller

'd20' : 8, 12, 1, 11, 11, 6
Back to top Go down
Rowan

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 3:45 pm

Six Charisma checks, coming up:

Edit: That was weirdly bipolar. The Charisma checks are: 23, 10, 13, 26, 11, 29.

Last edited by Rowan on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 3:45 pm

The member 'Rowan' has done the following action : Dice roller

'd20' : 14, 1, 4, 17, 2, 20
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 8:07 pm

Rowan wrote:
Six Charisma checks, coming up:

Edit: That was weirdly bipolar. The Charisma checks are: 23, 10, 13, 26, 11, 29.

OOC: Sounds about right for the way you roll, actually.

After Rowan casts her spells and realizes that all three of the unconscious trolls are now under her thrall (for the next six hours, that is), one of the minions is allowed to regenerate to full consciousness. Badly battered and burned, it looks around wildly when it awakes, before roaring and putting itself into a posture of defense. When it realizes that it is not being attacked, it seems puzzled and then more so--but also slightly relieved--at sight of Rowan.

After a few moments, the troll growls a question, which Kara--being the only one who can understand its language--translates as, "What do you want with me?" It is clearly very confused, the combination of the spell's mind-affecting power and its current circumstances being a little too much for its weak brain. Once Kara translates Rowan's queries, the troll quite eagerly answers them, seemingly because it can't actually think of anything else to do. The fact that Grabthar periodically has to smack the other two trolls to keep them unconscious seems to be keeping it a little cowed as well.

The troll says that it belongs to a small tribe whose name Kara translates roughly as the Skullsuckers (since they evidently enjoy feasting on the brains of their foes), which was originally located to what is the north and west (probably, since it's not great with directions) within the great forests that fill the heartlands of the Eldeen Reaches. Hargulka was their "king" and had been for the last half a dozen years, since he ate their previous chief (his father).

Approximately two months ago (it's not great at time either), Hargulka emerged from the cave where he lived with an announcement, that he was going to lead the tribe's warriors east to capture a realm of their own. To that end, he displayed a suit of full-plate armor and a magical morningstar that he said had been granted to him by the god Grolantor in a vision. Despite Hargulka's vision, the tribe's shaman (his mother) refused to let the women and children of the tribe follow him, especially as winter was in the offing, until it was safe for them. So Hargulka took these warriors and headed east, finding this abandoned lair (which he seemed to know was already there), which was occupied by the rock troll. It agreed to work with Hargulka and the trolls set up their camp here and recently began the raids which Hargulka wanted them to go on.

The troll is particularly confused at how Rowan and the others know that Hargulka had begun talking to himself regularly. He would make the others leave his cave and could be heard speaking within. He said that Grolantor spoke to him, but didn't say how. The information he gained seemed quite accurate, since that's mostly how he created the map, combined with some information gained from troll scouting in the area.

The troll concludes by asking what you all are planning to do with him. If freed, he promises to run as fast as he can back to their tribe and tell them never to come here. And he really doesn't care what you do with Hargulka.

OOC: Leonis would know that Grolantor is the deity of combat, war and destruction for giants. Scholars associate him with the Fury in the Dark Six, believing that she is simply worshipped under this name and in this form by giants. She is also, probably not so coincidentally, the one to whom the cat's-eye chrysoberyl is dedicated.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

Number of posts : 746

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 9:37 pm

Talking to the rest of the group, "I'd wager someone with some spell capabilities confused these trolls into thinking they were doing something for their god; throw in the magic equipment and is it a surprise they did as told? I have no objection to letting this troll go but first we need to let him know that the reason he was sent here was not his god but he was tricked. I think we know who tricked him and if we let him know he and his friends might want to seek revenge for being tricked." After saying that, "I am not sure what other information he can give us. I doubt he could draw a map, or give us names. It was probably some simple illusion."
Back to top Go down
Rowan

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 12:21 am

Rowan looks at Leonis hard. "There's no need for magic, to do what Hargulka did. Good old-fashioned bullshit would have done the same job."

"The real question is whether Hargulka believed in his "god" story too. Is he a dupe, or an accomplice?"

"Let's knock this minion out again, and decide what to do with him after we question Hargulka. Grabthar, please tie up the troll "king" before we question him. Or remove his arms; it's all the same to me."
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 12:43 am

Rowan wrote:
Rowan looks at Leonis hard. "There's no need for magic, to do what Hargulka did. Good old-fashioned bullshit would have done the same job."

"The real question is whether Hargulka believed in his "god" story too. Is he a dupe, or an accomplice?"

"Let's knock this minion out again, and decide what to do with him after we question Hargulka. Grabthar, please tie up the troll "king" before we question him. Or remove his arms; it's all the same to me."

Very Happy

The unfortunate troll who had honestly answered all the questions he'd been asked, and was looking from face to face with an uncomprehending but hopeful expression, is promptly bludgeoned into unconsciousness by Grabthar. Though the goliath is quite happy to take Hargulka's arms off, Rowan realizes that doing so will probably negate whatever effect the charm person has, so the adventurers settle for tying him very securely. Then Hargulka is allowed to return to consciousness.

His response on awakening is much fiercer than his minion's, consisting of an angry roar and a violent attempt to break his bonds, before a blow from Grabthar causes him to desist. Hargulka glares around, though he pauses to give Rowan a somewhat quizzical look (clearly confused by the conflicting emotions the enchantment makes him feel towards the arcanist), and then grunts some questions. Kara translates them as, "Why have you left me alive? You have bested me and my warriors! Now slay me ... and I shall go to Grolantor's side, to watch till your little kingdom burns."
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 12:48 pm

OOC: I'm off in a couple of hours to spend Christmas with Amber's family, so I'll be traveling most of this evening. I should be able to post again from tomorrow morning, but if I'm not posting again in a day's time, that's because I ran into internet issues there.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 1:40 pm

Or should we do search and rescue for you?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 9:34 pm

Gareth wrote:
Or should we do search and rescue for you?

No need yet! Give it a 24 hr break between emails/posts and then you can send out the bloodhounds.

And now, I believe it's time for an IC post from you guys...
Back to top Go down
Leonis

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 10:15 pm

Asking Kara to translate, "Why would you want our little kingdom to burn? What purpose does it serve you?"
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 am

Gareth wrote:
Asking Kara to translate, "Why would you want our little kingdom to burn? What purpose does it serve you?"

Hargulka glares at Kara as she asks the question and then growls, "You are not wanted here! This is not your land! Long ages before you puny humans and elves came here, the giants ruled this land - and they will again! Grolantor told me so! It is time for a new age! Your people are fools! They released the creatures of madness on this world, and now that they are gone, you are weak and the druids are weak. It is our turn!"
Back to top Go down
Leonis

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 1:53 pm

"Where did grolantar tell you this? How did he manifest himself?"
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 9:32 pm

Gareth wrote:
"Where did grolantar tell you this? How did he manifest himself?"

Hargulka continues to glare at his captors, but Rowan's enchantment serves to keep him talking. "The Furious One appeared in my dreams to me, far to the east in my tribe's lair. He was tall and mighty, and he blessed me with Dwarfcrusher. When I awoke, I found that he had gifted me a lesser version of Dwarfcrusher and a suit of shining mail, to wear and wield as I crushed my foes and led the trollkin and giants back to the greatness they once possessed on Xen'drik. And he gave me the Eye of Grolantor, which would watch and command me in my task."

The troll "king" falls silent for a moment, an expression of gloom and despondence settling over him. Then he mutters, "I have failed Grolantor and my people." Looking at Rowan, he says, in a tone that is reluctantly beseeching, "Slay me now! Let me go to Grolantor and speak of you. Perhaps he will forgive me." He sounds unconvinced.

OOC: Dwarfcrusher is the oversized club that Grolantor wields.
Back to top Go down
Rowan

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 1:39 pm

Admin wrote:
They released the creatures of madness on this world, and now that they are gone, you are weak and the druids are weak."
Rowan believes that "the creatures of madness" is referring to invasion from Xoriat, and doesn't realize that it's actually a reference to the Guardian Angels.

Quote :
The troll "king" falls silent for a moment, an expression of gloom and despondence settling over him. Then he mutters, "I have failed Grolantor and my people." Looking at Rowan, he says, in a tone that is reluctantly beseeching, "Slay me now! Let me go to Grolantor and speak of you. Perhaps he will forgive me." He sounds unconvinced.

OOC: Do Rowan or Leonis know of any spells that would enable a spellcaster to talk to a troll in his dreams, appearing in the form of a god, and teleport items to him?

OOC: He sounds like he sincerely believes this, and probably doesn't have the guile to lie about it, but I may be wrong, and he may be hiding something. So I'm going to use Sense Motive. Edit: 28!

Rowan's dark eyes open wide, as she smiles with zealous intensity. "Do not worry about Grolantor's revenge. There is coming a glorious battle between the people of Grolantor and the children of men. Our races will clash upon the earth, and the mightier race will prevail. Grolantor chose you to be his herald of this battle. Grolantor spoke to me too, in a dream. He told me that the map of our battles would be written large on his herald's wall, and his herald would tell me how he would destroy us.

So tell us, Herald-King, where will our battles be? What has Grolantor told to you, that you may tell it to me?

Last edited by Rowan on Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 1:39 pm

The member 'Rowan' has done the following action : Dice roller

'd20' : 19
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Rowan wrote:
Rowan believes that "the creatures of madness" is referring to invasion from Xoriat, and doesn't realize that it's actually a reference to the Guardian Angels.

Very Happy

Quote :
OOC: Do Rowan or Leonis know of any spells that would enable a spellcaster to talk to a troll in his dreams, appearing in the form of a god, and teleport items to him?

A Dream spell (Bard5, Sor/Wiz5) would be the likeliest option for appearing to someone in their dreams. That wouldn't, however, allow delivery of items. The latter would require something like Teleport Object (Sor/Wiz7).

Quote :
OOC: He sounds like he sincerely believes this, and probably doesn't have the guile to lie about it, but I may be wrong, and he may be hiding something. So I'm going to use Sense Motive. Edit: 28!

Unless he's a far more fabulous liar than you think is the case, Hargulka's convinced he's speaking the truth.

Quote :
Rowan's dark eyes open wide, as she smiles with zealous intensity. "Do not worry about Grolantor's revenge. There is coming a glorious battle between the people of Grolantor and the children of men. Our races will clash upon the earth, and the mightier race will prevail. Grolantor chose you to be his herald of this battle. Grolantor spoke to me too, in a dream. He told me that the map of our battles would be written large on his herald's wall, and his herald would tell me how he would destroy us.

So tell us, Herald-King, where will our battles be? What has Grolantor told to you, that you may tell it to me?

Hargulka's red-rimmed eyes take on a puzzled expression and he opens and shuts his mouth a couple of times, eyes focused only on Rowan as Kara translates what she says. Finally he says, in a slightly querulous tone, "I did not know of this. Grolantor did not say where our battles would be. He only told me where your people were and that I should begin and add to that map," he jerks a head at the one on the wall. "He said that when I had weakened your little kingdom, he would send an army of true giants to aid me and serve under my banner. And that there are other little kingdoms your people are forming in these lands and that they would all fall one by one. And that I should slay any and all of your people and spread fear. And that I should avoid slaying any of the fey here, because he had special plans for them." Hargulka shakes his head. "I don't understand that," he mutters, before a suspicious expression slowly descends over his eyes. "Why would Grolantor appear to you, little human? You are ... fooling me?" That sounds as much like a question as a statement.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

After the trolls Empty
PostSubject: Re: After the trolls   After the trolls Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

After the trolls
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shil's Eberron Game :: Kingmaker campaign-
Jump to: