Shil's Eberron Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shil's Eberron Game

Private board for a 3.5e D&D Eberron game

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cross on Over to the Other Side

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2006-09-11

Cross on Over to the Other Side Empty
PostSubject: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 2:21 pm

Nameless opens his eyes to the sharp throbbing of a painful headache and looks around. The last thing he remembers was being in the battle in the Mud Caves, and seeing Cainan hurling a spell in his direction. The scene in front of him is very different.

Purplish-pink clouds float above and below, in the dark nothingness that surrounds him. The air around him feels syrupy and thick, palpable to the touch. Other ... things ... are present, both near and far. A few dozen feet away, a shape rotates slowly past. As if rotates, it continually changes from one geometric form to the next, sometimes lingering within one while it has already taken on another, so that it forms a four sided triangle or an octagonal cube. From off to his left and above, a stream of azure globules stream by, breaking up into fist-sized blue ticks as they fall.

About five hundred feet to Nameless' right, what seems like a thin translucent curtain hangs in the air, stretching off in every direction. Another curtain is visible a foot behind it, and three more curtains can be seen at varying distances. A stream of what looks like white milk flows vertically upwards between two of the curtains and then turns at right angles to flow through one and then end abruptly ten feet beyond. Far below, near the limits of Nameless' vision, the furthest of the curtains dips into a forest of tentacled vegetation lined with orange moss, which seems to float on a giant amoebic sea, through which huge gelatinous worms wiggle. The sea roils and a gigantic shape slowly emerges, an immense central mass topped with myriad multi-sized eyes ringed with tentacles, which slowly drifts along the curtains, its bulk extending through them. Considering the distance, Nameless estimates it is probably the size of a small village.

As he takes in the various sights, Nameless suddenly has the complete certainty - though he's not sure why - that he is dead. But he is not on Dolurrh, where the souls of the deceased supposedly go. This is Xoriat.

Then, a voice behind Nameless says, "Hello, Nameless. Or should I call you Edgar?" The voice is familiar, and so is the form he finds floating, as he is, ten feet behind him. It is himself.
Back to top Go down
https://eberrongame.forumotion.com
Nameless

Number of posts : 307

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 2:44 pm

I doubt you're me or you'd know the answer to that question and since you are appearing as me, you obviously wish to disguise what you really are. So I won't bother asking who or what you are. Finally as Xoriat isn't known for it's hospitality or welcoming committees, I conclude you aren't here simply to say "Hi".

So, let us cut to the chase then. What do you want?
Back to top Go down
Six of Six

Number of posts : 257

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 3:33 pm

Nameless wrote:
I

Scene One
The familar form looks intensily at Nameless. Have you found the Lord and Savior? Well it is too late now. Laughing maniacally he runs off.

Scene Two
The figure reaches into his cloak and produces a scroll. Would you please fill out a brief survey.

Scene Three
Pointing at Nameless; Before you meet your destiny Answer first my questions three

Scene Four
Since all adventure series have a muscial episode, this is the beginnig of
A Shoggath on the Roof. http://www.cthulhulives.org/shoggoth/
Back to top Go down
Leonis

Number of posts : 746

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 4:41 pm

Scene Five

"Gareth spoke truth. It is all about the Silver Flame. Welcome home." As millions of Silver Flamers come out dancing around Nameless preaching the Silver Flame. Nameless then feels a stabbing pain in his rear end as he realizes he got shot by a woman with a bow in her hand.
Back to top Go down
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 4:59 pm

Gareth wrote:
Scene Five

"Gareth spoke truth. It is all about the Silver Flame. Welcome home." As millions of Silver Flamers come out dancing around Nameless preaching the Silver Flame. Nameless then feels a stabbing pain in his rear end as he realizes he got shot by a woman with a bow in her hand.

Actually, Nameless now has proof that the Silver flame is full of shit.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 5:00 pm

How so?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 7:10 pm

Nameless wrote:
I doubt you're me or you'd know the answer to that question and since you are appearing as me, you obviously wish to disguise what you really are. So I won't bother asking who or what you are. Finally as Xoriat isn't known for it's hospitality or welcoming committees, I conclude you aren't here simply to say "Hi".

The other version of Nameless laughs. "Little impatient, aren't we? And in theory I am you. Part of you. Remember that little thing in your head that speaks to you and makes you ... well, special? That's me. I'm a lot better attuned to this place than even you are, so here I take on a little bit more of an existence of my own."

He looks around. "Beautiful, isn't it?" He focuses slightly and about ten feet of the air around the pair takes on a faint green tinge, and the whiff of corruption envelops them. Nameless 2 inhales and looks back at Nameless. "If only all the universe were like this."

"Anyway, what I want to know is what you want. You're, let's be blunt, dead. And souls, even yours, aren't supposed to last here. So, soon enough, you'll become one with the fabric of Xoriat and completely cease to exist. So, what do you plan to do about it? Try to get back to your world? Explore Xoriat and find a way to stay here? Something else? I'm just wondering, since it's possible my existence is tied up with yours, and I'm not quite ready to go yet."
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 7:30 pm

Take one for the team. Hey, maybe the group will get xp for defeating this mob.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 8:25 pm

Gareth wrote:
How so?

I think he meant the Silver Flame belief in those who die becoming part of the Flame, but that only applies to true worshippers of the Flame, so Nameless showing up elsewhere doesn't invalidate it at all.

Quote :
Take one for the team. Hey, maybe the group will get xp for defeating this mob.

I didn't get it. What do you want him to do?

And we're far, far past getting XP for defeating anything. Never, never again, as long as I DM.
Back to top Go down
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 9:06 pm

Admin wrote:
Nameless wrote:

The other version of Nameless laughs. "Little impatient, aren't we? And in theory I am you. Part of you. Remember that little thing in your head that speaks to you and makes you ... well, special? That's me. I'm a lot better attuned to this place than even you are, so here I take on a little bit more of an existence of my own."

He looks around. "Beautiful, isn't it?" He focuses slightly and about ten feet of the air around the pair takes on a faint green tinge, and the whiff of corruption envelops them. Nameless 2 inhales and looks back at Nameless. "If only all the universe were like this."

"Anyway, what I want to know is what you want. You're, let's be blunt, dead. And souls, even yours, aren't supposed to last here. So, soon enough, you'll become one with the fabric of Xoriat and completely cease to exist. So, what do you plan to do about it? Try to get back to your world? Explore Xoriat and find a way to stay here? Something else? I'm just wondering, since it's possible my existence is tied up with yours, and I'm not quite ready to go yet."

Well if you are what you say you are, then I/We will be one soon enough when I transcend. My/Our friends will no doubt try to reincarnate me/us. Question is will it be soon enough? I/We seem to be in no danger at the moment, but I'm certain that can change quickly. Still this is a rare oportunity and I/We should explore while we are waiting.

OOC: I don't suppose Nameless has his necklace? Does he still have all of his spells remaining?

Knowledge check? Would a Dismissal (Wiz 5) return him to the prime or Dolurrh?

He's also going to try bending the local conditions to his will.
Back to top Go down
Luna

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2006-09-21

PostSubject: WHAT????? YOUR NOT GOING TO ASK HOW HE IS TIED TO YOU????   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 10:22 pm

Are you kidding me?
You aren't going to take this oportunity to find out how you got separated from yourself? And why????
And why he got dibs on the real name?

And if he hangs out here - he must have some cool knowledge to impart! Maybe stuff about aberations?
But at least try and pump him for some knowlege: Xoriat!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 11:07 pm

Nameless wrote:
Well if you are what you say you are, then I/We will be one soon enough when I transcend. My/Our friends will no doubt try to reincarnate me/us. Question is will it be soon enough? I/We seem to be in no danger at the moment, but I'm certain that can change quickly. Still this is a rare oportunity and I/We should explore while we are waiting.

Nameless 2 shrugs. "I'm not completely sure that we'll become one when you transcend. Or if. You're still a while away from it, you know, and getting killed doesn't help. Let's hope your friends are as reliable as you think. Time shouldn't be an issue if they're quick." [OOC: Nameless knows that time flows much slower on Xoriat than on Eberron. 1 minute on Xoriat is 60 minutes on Eberron, so if the others raise him in 18 hrs, he'll have 18 minutes on Xoriat.]

He looks around and says, "This isn't as rare for me, since I've got a little more experience of this place, though admittedly that's more theoretical than real. So it's interesting for me too." He points at the 'curtains' and says, "After all, where can we go where we'll be able to look through five planar layers at once. Or see that?" He slowly floats around and over, without moving his arm, until his pointing digit indicates the huge creature far off in the distance.

Quote :
OOC: I don't suppose Nameless has his necklace? Does he still have all of his spells remaining?

Nameless is wearing everything that he had on when he died, but he's aware that it's just an appearance. None of his items are actually present on him. This is effectively what happens when the soul travels from the body after death (though usually it ends up in Dolurrh). The weird thing, however, is that he has all his spells, including the ones he had cast during the day, and that's not supposed to be the case with a departed soul either. Also, the permanent enhancements from the Silver Flame have stayed with him.

Quote :
Knowledge check? Would a Dismissal (Wiz 5) return him to the prime or Dolurrh?

Not a clue, because he's in a situation he's never heard of. If he were on Dolurrh, it wouldn't affect him, since a soul doesn't count as extraplanar when it reaches Dolurrh after death. But since he ended up on Xoriat, he's got no clue whether he counts as extraplanar now.

Quote :
He's also going to try bending the local conditions to his will.

It's extremely difficult, but the conditions within six inches of his form do begin to change as he focuses. Nameless can also make himself float slowly through the void via concentration. It's tiring and he probably couldn't keep it up indefinitely, but he can do it for a while.

Anything particular he tries to do?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 12:00 am

Luna wrote:
Are you kidding me?
You aren't going to take this oportunity to find out how you got separated from yourself? And why????
And why he got dibs on the real name?

And if he hangs out here - he must have some cool knowledge to impart! Maybe stuff about aberations?
But at least try and pump him for some knowlege: Xoriat!

You know that he who multiplieth knowledge multiplieth sorrow, right?

That quotation was written for this campaign Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Luna

PostSubject: curiosity killed the cat, satifaction brought it back!   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 1:54 am

i can't believe nameless isn't eaten up head to take with it!
and now he can find out --- and doesn't even ask?

is curiosity a stat like str and wis?
if so -- nameless much have like a 2 to Lunas 22!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 10:10 am

Luna wrote:
i can't believe nameless isn't eaten up head to take with it!
and now he can find out --- and doesn't even ask?

is curiosity a stat like str and wis?
if so -- nameless much have like a 2 to Lunas 22!

I think it's more like Luna having curiosity of C x 10, C being the amount of curiosity of anyone else in the same situation.

Plus, imagine if Nameless asks a question and the guy hands him a crystal. What will Luna say then?
Back to top Go down
Nameless

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 11:12 am

Admin wrote:
Nameless 2 shrugs. "I'm not completely sure that we'll become one when you transcend. Or if. You're still a while away from it, you know, and getting killed doesn't help. Let's hope your friends are as reliable as you think. Time shouldn't be an issue if they're quick." [OOC: Nameless knows that time flows much slower on Xoriat than on Eberron. 1 minute on Xoriat is 60 minutes on Eberron, so if the others raise him in 18 hrs, he'll have 18 minutes on Xoriat.]

He looks around and says, "This isn't as rare for me, since I've got a little more experience of this place, though admittedly that's more theoretical than real. So it's interesting for me too." He points at the 'curtains' and says, "After all, where can we go where we'll be able to look through five planar layers at once. Or see that?" He slowly floats around and over, without moving his arm, until his pointing digit indicates the huge creature far off in the distance.

He's going to carefully examine Nameless2 with the arcane sight and see what if anything that can tell him. In particular if the auras match up or have any corellation with the auras on himself.

Aside from the merely bizzare is there anything in the area that catches Nameless's interest? Given that I know basically nothing about Xoriat and Nameless does know something at least. Looking through 5 planes at once is only interesting if there's something to see. Any bits of lore for places to go and things to see? He does have a teleport memorized. He'll also ask Nameless2.

"You say you've been here before. Do you know of some place of particular interest?"

RE: Luna - Nameless might be insane, but he isn't crazy.

Besides if Shil were inclined to give a straightforward answer to any of those sorts of questions, he'd have done so. It's like prophecies. They only tell you what you need to know after it's too late to do any good.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 12:47 pm

Nameless wrote:
It's like prophecies. They only tell you what they want you to know to give them a good laugh.

Fix't
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 11:20 pm

Nameless wrote:
He's going to carefully examine Nameless2 with the arcane sight and see what if anything that can tell him. In particular if the auras match up or have any corellation with the auras on himself.

Interestingly enough, Nameless2 is completely lacking in magical auras.

Quote :
Aside from the merely bizzare is there anything in the area that catches Nameless's interest? Given that I know basically nothing about Xoriat and Nameless does know something at least. Looking through 5 planes at once is only interesting if there's something to see.

Well, presumably just being there would be interesting for Nameless. After all, he's never actually heard of anyone who's been to Xoriat since the Gatekeepers sundered it from Eberron, and all his knowledge of the place is secondhand. Seventh-dimension geometry is one thing to read about and theoretically understand, and it's quite another thing to see it. For Nameless, this should be an absolutely unparalleled opportunity.

Quote :
Any bits of lore for places to go and things to see? He does have a teleport memorized.

In theory there are the fortresses of the daelkyr lords, but even they're next to impossible for someone who's not native to - and very well-informed about - the plane to find, since there are effectively no fixed landmarks to use in the area. However...

Quote :
He'll also ask Nameless2.

"You say you've been here before. Do you know of some place of particular interest?"

"Sure. I presume you'd like to see where one of the daelkyr fortresses, right? After all, what good's it going to be ending up here if you don't actually visit one of them. I know you're well informed about those who are imprisoned in Eberron, but there are many more here who never crossed over. Want to visit the blood fields of Chaugnar Faugn, the all-seeing eye of Cyäegha, the mountain home of Ghatanathoa, the ice citadel of Rlim Shaikorth?"

He scratches his chin and then points at the giant creature slowly floating along in the distance. "Some of the Swimmers in the Darkness are interesting too, though they aren't much for conversation. I'd say the daelkyr would be more educational. Especially for you, since you're as safe from them as you could be, being dead and all."

Quote :
RE: Luna - Nameless might be insane, but he isn't crazy.

It's really sad when the party alienist looks at you and goes, "You're nuts!"

Quote :
Besides if Shil were inclined to give a straightforward answer to any of those sorts of questions, he'd have done so. It's like prophecies. They only tell you what you need to know after it's too late to do any good.

Avi got it Smile
Back to top Go down
Luna

PostSubject: I would still ask. It can never hurt to ask.   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 11:39 pm

What if you could have found out but because you didn't bother to ask - you didn't find out! That the answer might be no is not any kind of reason not to ask!!!

This is the other half of yourself for goodness ... or whatever... sake!

At least have the decency to think of Luna and her need to know!!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 12:39 am

Luna wrote:
What if you could have found out but because you didn't bother to ask - you didn't find out! That the answer might be no is not any kind of reason not to ask!!!

This is the other half of yourself for goodness ... or whatever... sake!

At least have the decency to think of Luna and her need to know!!

Very Happy

So what do you suggest he ask?
Back to top Go down
Luna

PostSubject: Would he be willing to take a survey?   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 1:19 am

How did Edgar and nameless get separated from themselves and why?
Details Please!

What "state" is Edgar in that he hangs out in Xoriat?
Dead - Not Dead- Undead- Other?

Why is he hanging on Xoriat?

Was he surprised to find Nameless here or was did he somehow know and come here to meet him?

Can they tap into each others' "powers"?

Is Edgar a mage or any sort?

Does he have any tips for dalkyr slaying?

Stuff like that!
Back to top Go down
Luna

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 1:30 am

rendeer
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 8:03 pm

Luna wrote:
How did Edgar and nameless get separated from themselves and why?
Details Please!

What "state" is Edgar in that he hangs out in Xoriat?
Dead - Not Dead- Undead- Other?

Why is he hanging on Xoriat?

Was he surprised to find Nameless here or was did he somehow know and come here to meet him?

The above was already covered in the opening lines to Nameless, but you probably missed it due to a lack of inside info. The "thing" in Nameless' head is not really an entity in the living sense. It's the result of him being momentarily in mental contact with a daelkyr that tried to possess him. This happened before the campaign began (that's when Nameless first saw the Shard, or more precisely, another like it), and Nameless has never told the others about it. Think of it more like a virus that only partly managed to enter Nameless' CPU, so it isn't fully manifested, but messes with his operating system and gives him some additional abilities.

According to what Nameless2 (he actually called Nameless Edgar) said, since he's more attuned to Xoriat, once they reached it he split off temporarily from Nameless. So he wasn't waiting there for him, but manifested as a result of his death and arrival there.

Quote :
Can they tap into each others' "powers"?

Is Edgar a mage or any sort?

Does he have any tips for dalkyr slaying?

Stuff like that!

These, on the other hand, remain to be dealt with.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 10:33 pm

Admin wrote:

The above was already covered in the opening lines to Nameless, but you probably missed it due to a lack of inside info. The "thing" in Nameless' head is not really an entity in the living sense. It's the result of him being momentarily in mental contact with a daelkyr that tried to possess him. This happened before the campaign began (that's when Nameless first saw the Shard, or more precisely, another like it), and Nameless has never told the others about it. Think of it more like a virus that only partly managed to enter Nameless' CPU, so it isn't fully manifested, but messes with his operating system and gives him some additional abilities.

I take it the group is not privy to the knowledge of nameless knowing about another shard. That correct?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 11:13 pm

Gareth wrote:
I take it the group is not privy to the knowledge of nameless knowing about another shard. That correct?

Correct. I don't think he's even told Trillia about it. One other person, or creature, knew about it for a time, namely the mind flayer Naxaliyen after he read Nameless' memories. But since you guys killed (and stuffed) him, it's just Nameless now. And Nameless2.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cross on Over to the Other Side   Cross on Over to the Other Side Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cross on Over to the Other Side
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shil's Eberron Game :: Back in Sharn-
Jump to: