Shil's Eberron Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shil's Eberron Game

Private board for a 3.5e D&D Eberron game

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Home Sweet Home

Go down 
+2
Rowan
Admin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2006-09-11

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: Home Sweet Home   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2006 5:04 pm

Here's a place to discuss, both IC and OOC, what you guys plan to do as far as the house is concerned. Remember, anything you do will cost you.

Now, to start you off, a simple decision to make:

1) Are you hiring anyone on a permanent basis?

2) Are you hiring someone on a temporary basis?

After all, it is a big house, with four storeys and multiple rooms. It's already a little dusty by the time you get it, since the Blackened Book wasn't that interested in cleaning. Also, the lack of windows makes it fairly stuffy, since the only ventilation comes through the doors opening onto various small balconies, and apparently little holes in the walls to let air into selective areas.
Back to top Go down
https://eberrongame.forumotion.com
Rowan

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2006-09-16

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Sweet Home   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2006 6:42 pm

Did you miss the conversation about Awakening an ape to be our steward?

As for housekeeping, unseen servants can do that well, can't they?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Sweet Home   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2006 7:17 pm

Korm'akhan wrote:
Did you miss the conversation about Awakening an ape to be our steward?

No, but I'm hoping that if I pretend I did, it'll just go away. Really hoping.

Quote :
As for housekeeping, unseen servants can do that well, can't they?

General cleaning can definitely be handled by them. One cast by Nameless means 11 hrs of work, so even though they're incapable of complex tasks, it can do pretty good at cleaning. The big problem is that it can't go more than 50 ft from Nameless, so he'll have to accompany it from room to room throughout the entire time it's cleaning. Not very feasible.

And for basic stuff like meals and the like, you'll either have to get a cook or set up with some place to deliver food daily.
Back to top Go down
Six of Six

Number of posts : 257

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: There is the Unseen Crafter spell in Races of Eberron   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2006 8:05 pm

It last a day per level but has other timing problems with it's use.
Back to top Go down
Rowan

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2006-09-16

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Sweet Home   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2006 8:31 pm

Takeout, bah! Korm will do the cooking! He's actually a very good cook (+12 bonus, I think), though his cooking does trigger a Fort save. Or would it be a Reflex (half)?

Isn't there a spell that summons several unseen servants? That could make the cleaning a lot faster. Wood Wose could also do simple cleaning. One Pass Without Trace cast on all of us in the morning would preventing us from tracking in dirt and dust.

A butler or servant would be very helpful, but the problem lies in finding one who can be trusted and who won't be easily replaced by a changeling.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Sweet Home   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2006 8:51 pm

Korm'akhan wrote:
Takeout, bah! Korm will do the cooking! He's actually a very good cook (+12 bonus, I think), though his cooking does trigger a Fort save. Or would it be a Reflex (half)?

+12? He should be moonlighting a a chef at that place serving Marches food in the Cogs!

Quote :
Isn't there a spell that summons several unseen servants? That could make the cleaning a lot faster. Wood Wose could also do simple cleaning. One Pass Without Trace cast on all of us in the morning would preventing us from tracking in dirt and dust.

Servant Horde summons 2d6+ 1 per level, or an average of 18 at this level. That's a lot of cleaning at once.

Quote :
A butler or servant would be very helpful, but the problem lies in finding one who can be trusted and who won't be easily replaced by a changeling.

You're in Sharn. That's pretty much a given Smile

As long as the butler's tall enough to not be a gnome, I figure you're doing well.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: Rooms and Security in the Gray House   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2007 1:11 pm

For those of you who have the "Sharn: City of Towers" book, check the floor plans on pg. 89. That's what the four floors of the house look like. For those who don't, here's a quick and dirty coverage.

4th floor - Has a central area that stairs from 3rd floor come to, with door into a large antechamber-cum-study. This area has doors leading to the master bedroom (750 sq. ft), a much smaller bedroom (still about 250 sq. ft), and a balcony.

3rd floor - Central area, with stairs leading up and down. Has doors onto 3 bedrooms (each about 350 sq. ft.), each with its own balcony, and the central area opens onto a balcony of its own too.

2nd floor - This is the level with the main (well, only) entrance that the skybridge leads to. Has a small antechamber immediately inside the main entrance, opening into a huge hall, which has stairs leading down and doorways to three large rooms (about 350 sq. ft each). One of the three rooms has the stairs leading up.

Bottom floor - Stairs lead down from upper floor into a huge dining hall (nearly 1200 sq. ft), which has doors opening up into a large kitchen and three smaller rooms (two about 175 sq. ft and one of 100 sq. ft).

Let me know who wants a bedroom where and what sort of magical traps and precautions are being set up. The cost of magical protections will come out of the money you have. With no real justification, let me just assume you added another 1k each to what you had in the bank, which gives you 5k each and Gareth 3.5k, for a total of 23.5k. Not bad, but doesn't go that far when you consider an Arcane Seal spell costs 500 gp, a Glyph of Warding 200 gp, etc. You can get some of them a little cheaper if you get House Kundarak to do some of the casting (they can, for example, cast you an arcane seal which has 3 keys attuned to it - not just 1, as it would if Nameless cast it - for 150 gp).
Back to top Go down
Nameless

Number of posts : 307

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Sweet Home   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2007 2:35 pm

Nameless will prep two scrolls of "Guards & Wards". One he'll keep in a locked safe in his room. The other he'll have on him.
Back to top Go down
Leonis

Number of posts : 746

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Sweet Home   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2007 2:35 pm

As I said. Master bedroom.
Set up a little shrine to the Silver Flame. I will keep the hilt of Kizmet there.
Glyph of Warding (gareth can cast this)

Hallow (Gareth can cast this from a scroll)
-Either with Death Ward or Invisibility Purge

Arcane Seal

Are there any other perm spells? Can we get a permenant alarm?
Back to top Go down
Luna

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2006-09-21

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: I thought we had servants?   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2007 5:43 pm

Didn't Six hire us a bunch of War Forged as Sevant/Body Guards?
I think we should hire some Rouge-Assasins to patrol the outside too.
And maybe a nice gardner.
Plus, someone has to do the shopping.
Back to top Go down
Nameless

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Sweet Home   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2007 5:52 pm

Luna wrote:
Didn't Six hire us a bunch of War Forged as Sevant/Body Guards?
I think we should hire some Rouge-Assasins to patrol the outside too.
And maybe a nice gardner.
Plus, someone has to do the shopping.

I think we'd be better off with Lipstick-Monks, than "Rouge"-Assasins (Perhaps you meant Rogues?")

We already have gardeners. Luna and Korm each have a Live Oak spell running on the top side garden (Live Oak, creates a treant from an Oak Staff).

The warforged are there mainly as a trip wire, not bodyguards. They are unlikely to be able to survive very long against anyone gunning for us. So they are not expected or asked to actually fight for us.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Sweet Home   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2007 6:03 pm

Nameless wrote:
Nameless will prep two scrolls of "Guards & Wards". One he'll keep in a locked safe in his room. The other he'll have on him.

Okay. That'll cost you a bit - 1650 gp and 66 XP each. That's a very nice spell but the downside is that it's 30 minutes to cast, so it's no good in a pinch.

Quote :
I think we'd be better off with Lipstick-Monks, than "Rouge"-Assasins (Perhaps you meant Rogues?")

Very Happy

Quote :
We already have gardeners. Luna and Korm each have a Live Oak spell running on the top side garden (Live Oak, creates a treant from an Oak Staff).

No Liveoak yet. You need a couple of actual oak trees, not staves, and while Luna and Korm can prepare the roof garden appropriately over time (it's not designed to support trees, actually) and plan a couple of seedlings, it'll be ages before they're big enough to work with the spell.

Quote :
The warforged are there mainly as a trip wire, not bodyguards. They are unlikely to be able to survive very long against anyone gunning for us. So they are not expected or asked to actually fight for us.

Yup. They're supposed to be alarm + speed bump, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Nameless

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Sweet Home   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2007 6:20 pm

Admin wrote:
No Liveoak yet. You need a couple of actual oak trees, not staves, and while Luna and Korm can prepare the roof garden appropriately over time (it's not designed to support trees, actually) and plan a couple of seedlings, it'll be ages before they're big enough to work with the spell.

If they can build towers as high as they do in Sharn, we can get two oak trees moved up to the roof. It may cost, but it shouldn't be that expensive. Reinforcing the roof shouldn't be an issue with Wall of Stone, Stone Shape and Ironwood.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Sweet Home   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2007 6:35 pm

Quote :
If they can build towers as high as they do in Sharn, we can get two oak trees moved up to the roof. It may cost, but it shouldn't be that expensive. Reinforcing the roof shouldn't be an issue with Wall of Stone, Stone Shape and Ironwood.

The tower bit is a lot easier since you're building them brick by brick, and there's a magic item they create in Sharn designed particularly to that end. Two oak trees, however, are a much bigger problem. Effectively, you have to find two oaks, find something that'll be able to carry them, uproot them without killing them, fly them up to the top of your roof, and lower them down, and re-root them again.

But the concept's amusing enough that I'll say you guys manage to pull it off through a combination of hiring half a dozen large skycoaches, Luna and Nameless summoning a few elementals at judicious moments, and a lot of luck.

So, okay, you now have two Liveoak-enchanted oak trees on your roof. Just be warned that I may at some point inform those in the top floor that the roof above is crumbling due to weight and/or tap roots coming through the ceiling Smile
Back to top Go down
Nameless

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Sweet Home   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2007 6:48 pm

Admin wrote:
Just be warned that I may at some point inform those in the top floor that the roof above is crumbling due to weight and/or tap roots coming through the ceiling Smile

Between, Wall of Stone, Stone Shape, Iron Wood and talking to the Trees/Treants, should be able to deal with this. We can also use "Stone Tell" to make sure things aren't cracking.

Come to think of it, we should probably cast Stone tell once a week or so, in varying spots, to see if there have been any unexpected or odd visitors.
Back to top Go down
Luna

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Sweet Home   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 pm

I was hoping some roots would grow into my room and liven up the place!
I wanted it to kinda have a "grotto" sort of feel to it.
Back to top Go down
Luna

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Sweet Home   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2007 11:35 pm

Lipstick, Rouge, eyeshadow ----they can wear whatever they like as long as they do their job! :-)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Sweet Home   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2007 9:37 am

Luna wrote:
Lipstick, Rouge, eyeshadow ----they can wear whatever they like as long as they do their job! :-)

Now I'm imagining the house guarded by four warforged in kabuki masks Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Home Sweet Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home Sweet Home   Home Sweet Home Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Home Sweet Home
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shil's Eberron Game :: Back in Sharn-
Jump to: